The Girl Who Spoke of Stars

She was the girl who sat in the back of the classroom, nose buried in some mystical book that hadn't seen the light outside of the library. She was the girl who could see universes in people's eyes and galaxies in their souls. Her smile was brighter than the cosmos themselves and even more the beautiful, and when she cried, the starlight dimmed across the night sky. 

She had the prettiest eyes and the most wonderful hair and gorgeous skin and yet had the most broken heart and untrusting soul. She had been called names and had been thrown away, cast out, misled, and used. But she still found good things in people. She was extraordinary and I'd be proud to be called her best friend if that's what she had considered me as. 

And though she plastered on that smile during the day, after her parents' door closed and the house fell quiet, she'd listen to her music and talk with the people she had left. She tried not to acknowledge the weapon sitting out of sight yet so close to her, as her friends talked to her. And with their help, she'd be able to survive one more night without touching her doom. 

She was the girl who painted an ocean of stars above her bed to keep her company in the early hours of the morning. The sun would slot through the blinds and allow just enough light to make the stars glow. She'd smile and roll over to maybe get some more sleep, but she knew she'd only do some early morning contemplating. 

She'd think about time, and immortality, and how finite infinity was. She was the girl who would talk to anyone who needed it and anyone who would listen. 

She spoke about stars, and how all of them would some day extinguish and become dust and nothing but a name in an old textbook. She talked about how they were like people, if people could live hundreds and thousands of years. 

She spoke about how immortality is one of the most tragic things that the human brain has illustrated to her friends that night. How living on and seeing your family and friends wither and die as you stayed preserved. How immortality was so selfish and that the agony of loss would be too overbearing. But once you were immortal you couldn't go back on that to see your loved ones again.

She spoke about how only the most broken and empty people must want immortality. How they would want it as a punishment because they had nothing left to lose. An eternity of nothingness and the pain would suit someone seeking forgiveness from anyone who would give it while killing themselves on the inside.

She spoke about how time would keep running on ahead long after they dropped to their knees and bowed to Death. 

She spoke about the stars that night. Spoke about how the galaxies on her walls and in her mind would whisper secrets to her. Secrets as old as time. The stars would keep her company when her friends could not. How they always kept her safe from herself and her own self destruction.

She spoke to the stars that night after her friends logged off.

But the stars didn't speak back.