Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning)

RoyalChaos,TehFawkes

Steven had been chasing their four year old son James around the front yard when he saw the smoke. Black,billowing clouds that curled up and up,contrasting against the bright blue sky. He stopped dead,a chill running up his back. Anthony was at work,and that smoke was dead centre where His husband's job was. 

He hears someone call his name frantically,and sees Tom jogging up the street,red headed daughter in his arms. His phone was clutched in his hand,knuckles white from gripping the device. He let his daughter,Lily,down,and she immediately went to hug James. Steven was shocked to see Tom close to tears. The shaggy blond handed him the phone,and Steven listened to the voice message left on the screen.

"H-Hey Tom,I don't know when you'll get this but I hope it's soon. I'm not sure I'm walking out of the building alive,so I want you to know-- I love you. Tell Lily I love her too. Tell Steven Anthony's okay. We got him out first,and Galm's safe too. The floor caved in completely and it's suffocating in here-- oh God,Tom,I'm not ready yet--"

John's shaky and frantic voice was cut off by a loud static sound,and a deafening crash. Tom was taking hiccuping breaths. Steven hugged Tom tightly,the phone clattering against the ground when he drops it. 

Lily and James held hands and looked quietly between Tom and Steven,and the smoke that seemed to blot out the sky itself.

John didn't come home,but Anthony did. Steven realized how unfair it was,and Tom only cried and held onto the phone.

They shut off the news and sat in silence in Tom's kitchen. Lily wouldn't stop asking where her daddy was. James just hugged her when Tom burst into tears again. 

They flew the country's flag that evening,despite the dust gathered on it.

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?

Were you in the yard with your wife and children

Or working on some stage in L.A.?

Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke

Risin' against that blue sky?

Did you shout out in anger, in fear for your neighbor

Or did you just sit down and cry?

Did you weep for the children who lost their dear loved ones

And pray for the ones who don't know?

Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble

And sob for the ones left below?

Did you burst out with pride for the red, white and blue

And the heroes who died just doin' what they do?

Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer

And look at yourself and what really matters?

I'm sorry that I couldn't put this up yesterday,I had editing and time problems   

But I am glad I wrote this.

The song belongs to Alan Jackson,and is called Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning)

On September 11,2001,Nearly 3,000 people lost their lives when the Twin Towers in New York collapsed,due to the terrorist attack. The day is nicknamed the darkest day of American history,and the tragedy touched far too many people. 

Even if you're not from the U.S.,had no involvement,no family effected by this,even if you weren't around yet to see it,

I think we can agree to hold our silence for the horrifying tragedy  

I don't say it often because I worry about the state this country has become,But

God Bless America for coming this far.

I love you all and each of your silly,beautiful faces.

Stay lovely,

KKJ

Side note:: if I seem rushed or flustered with the author's note,it's because things got complicated and personal and I had to delete things before I broke down.

Love you all