Mating Tendencies

Requested by: Kitsunekura2010

"You know I'm fine on my own right?" Shikamaru murmured as he watched Naruto cook in his kitchen. It was odd to see the blonde cooking something other than ramen of beef bowls but he was still puzzled.

"It's partly my fault you're in the state you're in," Naruto leaned against the counter to face him. Shikamaru loved it when Naruto posed in any room. Sometimes he wondered if the blonde was aware of his dominance. That hungry look crossed his eyes when they landed on Shikamaru. He wasn't stupid and neither was Naruto.

At least he hoped he wasn't because if this was done unconsciously he wondered what Naruto would do when he was aware of it. The blonde poured a healthy bowl of soup and pushed it towards the Nara. "Drink up, I have all day."

Shikamaru rolled his eyes. "Naruto I'm fine."

The blonde tilted his head, eyes narrowing, and uttered one word. "Drink."

'And there goes rationality. Are you testing me?' Shikamaru thought as he drank his soup under Naruto's gaze. The tension was thick and didn't let up until Shikamaru was finished. "There you happy?"

Naruto brightened. "Very much so."

The blonde took out Shikamaru's medication and a glass of water and urged him to take it. Shikamaru sighed and decided to give in. His being gravely injured did something to trigger Naruto's animalistic instincts. Shikamaru didn't mind being coddled by the blonde but it was also a double-edged sword.

He's seen when Naruto's snapped because of him, it's mostly why he and Naruto had to be on missions together. Whenever Shikamaru got injured all hell could break loose in Naruto. Because of his close bond with the Nine-Tails Naruto could be more animal than human when his anger stirs. Shikamaru had been the one to approach Naruto and treat him as an equal.

Because of that Shikamaru had led Naruto into society and now it's being said that Naruto is the next Hokage despite still having his animalistic tendencies. Many often confuse it as Naruto defending the first person to treat him as human but Shikamaru hasn't always been the one to take the obvious path.

He's read about fox mating tendencies and it became apparent Naruto has considered him his mate ever since they were children. This is why he's more leaning toward the side of Naruto being aware of the way he acts towards Shikamaru. But he can't rule out the possibility of him being oblivious as he's never acted on it.

Shikamaru allowed himself to be tucked into bed. He didn't have the mental energy to deal with Naruto. "Why can't you take advantage of the situation?" He mumbled but Naruto had heard him.

"What situation?" Naruto leaned over Shikamaru who could see that hungry look in his eyes again.

"Don't look at me like that," Shikamaru pouted. "Stop hinting and teasing and get it over with."

Naruto stared at Shikamaru, his expression now blank and the Nara sighed and closed his eyes. It was a pity, he would've seen the bloodthirsty smirk Naruto showed only a few moments later.

**************

"Why are you being so difficult," Naruto scowled, fed up with the current situation as he grabbed Shikamaru by the ponytail and yanked it back so the other could look up at him.

Shikamaru hissed but he knew Naruto would never hurt him. He refused to answer the question. Continuing to stonewall the blonde. "You know why."

"No Shikamaru I don't," The blonde rolled his eyes flashing red as he pulled away from the other to sit across the room the last thing he wanted was accidentally putting into submission.

"There you go again. Running away."

"What the fuck are you on?" Naruto growled. "I'm trying to keep a distance."

"Why? Since when was that needed whenever we fought?"

"Oh I don't know ever since I want to put you under me," Naruto finally admitted out loud as he bared his fangs, his whisker marks blackening. "I'm not a fucking kid anymore, it's a daily struggle to resist the urge to take a bite out of your neck. Is this what you wanted to hear?"

Shikamaru held his neck as he gazed at Naruto's fangs. Again those fox mating tendencies. He gulped. "You want to brand me with your teeth?"

Naruto rolled his shoulders as that bloodlust smirk came out. "You've always been an amusing sight. This pretty little fawn wants the fox to mingle among prey. None of the prey was interesting, however, only that pretty little fawn."

Shikamaru found himself against the wall as Naruto caged him in. "Watching you grow was maddening to me. You're fit for being bred. But I'm not seen as an animal anymore. I had to do the human thing, friendship, courtship all that wonderful and meaningless shit."

"N-Naruto," Shikamaru could feel himself being choked up by those red eyes of the Kyuubi he held. But Naruto wasn't hearing him anymore, Shikamaru had triggered him so he had to bear it all.

"But my little fawn is a smart one. I should've known you would see through it. I've barely contained my hunger for you," Naruto cooed as Shikamaru started crying. "I'm sorry, did I scare you?"

Shikamaru reached out to cling to Naruto. He wasn't afraid, the tension was killing him, however. He couldn't handle the pressure. He fainted into Naruto's arms. The blonde looked down at the Nara and chuckled softly. 'An amusing sight indeed.'

Shikamaru woke up with a start as he looked over to Naruto who was lazily reading a scroll. His eyes were still red as he looked over at him. "Are you okay now? Got all the pressure out of the system?" Naruto smiled, it was fanged.

"You didn't bite me," Shikamaru started.

The blonde shrugged. " I want to but I've been suppressing it for so long. I want to hear your answer. Our relationship wouldn't be normal. You'd be my submissive. My little fawn, my princess, my omega."

Naruto's expression got hazy again. "We'd mate for life. You'd never leave me. Hence why I don't want to mark you. Humans are fickle but foxes mate for life, bear the struggles, and nurture each other."

"Do I seem shallow to you?" Shikamaru felt offended.

"You are still a human baby shadow," Naruto mumbled. "Compared to marriage what I want from you could be seen as unreasonable in the eyes of our peers."

"For years I've been wanting you to ask me out. Turns out you've been hiding the urge to mate with me," Shikamaru started laughing. "Fine. Take it, it's not like I ever wanted to leave your side anyway." 

Shikamaru bared his neck for Naruto who pounced on him. "You can't take it back, that's a vow Shikamaru." 

Shikamaru smiled. "Just do it already, I've only ever loved you and to hear you feel the same about me makes me happy." 

Naruto stared at him for a moment before leaning down and branding his mate.