The Hunt

Naruto panted as he came to a stop in the hollow opening in a cave. He couldn't do this. Why was his mother forcing him to do this? Oh yeah she wants him to be well off before she kicks the bucket. Naruto snorted, his mother wasn't going bucket kicking any time soon. He knew she had connections to powerful people but this elite hunt was insane. He's been bumping into famous children whose parents practically ran Konoha! He knew his father was the one to lead them at some point, he was there by his side when he was a toddler but when he died his mother had stepped out of the spotlight and by proxy so had Naruto.

'Evidently, she's stayed in the social circles if she managed to me of all people into this circle. I'm not special, I wasn't suffering as a child but I wasn't living in a mansion like everyone here.' He thought to himself as he plopped down by the entrance.

They lived in a tastefully decorated apartment and the money his father left his mother had placed it into his education. He was in the last stretch of college and soon he would be starting his own business to continue the lifestyle his mother was used to. Having a mate seemed to complicate that agenda but he couldn't turn her down when she wore such an adorable expression.

A scent flooded his nose and he scowled slightly, he hated tomatoes. He got back up and turned in the direction of the alpha. Raven hair, coal black eyes, and pale skin. 'Disgusting' He thought as he turned and sprinted before jumping up into the trees to dodge him. Naruto's one and only hobby was doing parkour and that has been a major help in dodging whatever alpha came his way trying to pin him. He wasn't aware of his scent as an omega, hence he didn't know that it could invoke a strong reaction from others who could. His mother told him he smelt of chocolate and mint. He had inherited the chocolate from his father and the mint from his mother. Even though he couldn't smell it on himself he could smell chocolate-mint ice-cream and concluded he smelt delicious.

However, in this context, some rich entitled alpha lusting after his scent was making him shudder, and not in a good way. He stopped as he reached the edge of the forest and took a breather in the highest branch of the tree. He had at least two hours left to be caught and if he wasn't then that would be fine as well. Up until this point Naruto had endured his heat alone, his mother always told him that it was alright to seek a trustworthy friend to spend it with but Naruto couldn't think of doing it with someone that wasn't his mate. Call him old-fashioned but he wanted to be charmed by a man who would sigh and complain at his pranks but still help set them up.

He didn't like the concept of being hunted down in a forest because the alpha got horny off his scent. It was weird and Naruto didn't like being sought out like that. He leaned against the rough bark of the tree and allowed his ears to pick up on the sounds of nature. He smiled a bit as he heard the birds and hoofs of deer and lazy breathing- wait. Naruto leaned forward and sure enough, he could hear someone sleeping. Now that was interesting he launched himself off to the next branch and continued until he was in the tree above a sleeping male.

They were on their back, arms cushioning the back of their heads with peaceful features. Naruto inhaled a bit and purred unconsciously at the earthy scent that grounded him. Stability, that's the vibe this scent gave off an alpha who was ready to support his omega and future pups. Naruto tilted forward and made a free fall to land just a few feet away from the mysterious male. Said the male's eyes snapped open and zeroed in on him. Naruto shivered a bit, they were bordering on black and they narrowed as they sized him up noses flaring a bit to gather his scent. To assess his instincts told Naruto to move when the alpha started to get up and just that split hesitation was to be his downfall as soon as he turned and took for the hills.

The alpha chasing him was fast, extremely so and it seemed he shared Naruto's hobby since he was scaling the trees and never detoured to waste time running on land when he could vault himself from branch to branch. "You troublesome blond." The voice drifted over his ears and Naruto blushed knowing that the male was gauging his every reaction.

"Me? You're the one who started chasing me." Naruto yelled from a higher branch as he stopped to turn and look at the male who was at least three branches behind him.

"Because you unknowingly fulfilled my plan for this year." Was the reply he got in return. Naruto cocked his head to the side and Shikamaru bit back a sigh as he rubbed his temples. "I always sleep there during these fucking hunts and then I made a deal with myself, the next omega that discovered me there would earn my energy as I chased for them. Lucky you blondie."

Naruto looked at him like he was a crazy person but he also noticed something about the word choices. "Sounds like you hate these things, am I right?"

"You bet, what people haven't heard about going out and meeting someone instead of getting high on pheromones and chasing them down like wild animals." He sighed deeply trying to stave off the headache he was feeling. "Some traditions should be buried in the past. The only reason I keep getting dragged here is because my friends met their mates this way and thought I would too."

"Maybe you have but not with the wild instincts involved." Naruto found himself saying as he shifted from foot to foot. "I'm here with my mother, she wants me to meet someone but I don't want to in this way. So since we're kinda in the same boat do you think-" He was cut off by a sweet croon from the alpha. Naruto purred in response as he tilted his head slightly to show submission.

Shikamaru came to his branch and nuzzled his scent gland. Naruto stiffened a bit when he felt fangs run against it but shiver when Shikamaru's wet appendage came to suck on him. He melted as large hands caressed his back and came to rest into the dip he had. "What are you doing I thought you didn't like mating this way." His voice was bordering on a slur but Shikamaru smirked against his skin.

"Just seeing how you react to my scent, judging from how heavily you leaning against me I can conclude that we're going to be amazing partners." Shikamaru pulled back and cupped his face. "Shikamaru Nara, nice to meet you future Nara."

Naruto covered his face but had them promptly removed by the other. "Naruto Namikaze, pleasure to be with you alpha." Shikamaru leaned in and kissed him softly as if testing the waters. Naruto smiled and pressed his lips against his as a sign that it was okay.

Outside the forest, at the seating area, two parents were watching from the drones they had planted around the place. Kushina gave Shikaku that 'pay up look' and the man sighed and handed over a check for a quarter of a million dollars. "How was I supposed to know Naruto was just the same as him."

"I know my baby and from what I gathered from listening to you ranting about Shikamaru I decided to kill two birds or in this case mate them." She had that knowing look as her eyes gleamed. "Just think of the children Shikaku, dark hair and blue eyes." She squealed jumping in her seat. Shikaku rolled his eyes but smiled as he watched them walk back together to end their partake in the hunt.