Hair Ribbon

"He's weird you know," Ino commented as he saw the blonde combing his long locks with a spaced-out look. Sakura turned to look at Naruto who was indeed a weird case. He wears girls' clothing and always does that childish hairstyle of two big pigtails and something that annoyed her was that the blonde would only tie one with a hair ribbon that looked to be part of a set. She didn't get and neither did Ino.

"Leave the freak alone, he's most likely crazy. He never talks to anyone and he's always invested in his music," Sakura bemoaned as she turned back her work. "Though he does make good music he's still outcasted by the music folk."

Konoha Academy is made for those with extraordinary talent. When Naruto transferred, he was immediately surrounded by gossip. He was an oddball and most assumed he was mute since he didn't talk, not once. His facial expressions were easy to tell since his eyes visibly changed based on what was said to him on the off chance. Naruto had a reputation for being one of the top 3 people a person would fuck in the school ranking. Just looking at him would give you the answer. He was tall but he was curvy and with all the goth clothing he wears it was very obvious he could pass for a model.

A typical Naruto outfit looked like something out of a movie that included a typical goth.

He wore variations every day but the hairstyle stayed the same

"When is Shikamaru coming back?" Sakura changed the subject easily and the blonde sighed at her troublesome friend.

"He's allowed to come back today. He needs to stop doing underground rap battles, it looks bad on the school to have a student doing illegal activities."

"Does Shikamaru honestly care, he's having the time of his life, that one-eyed freak," Sakura grumbled as a little blush bloomed on her face. Ino watched her expression before rolling her eyes.

'Stop feeding me one-sided dog food,' Ino thought as she took a sip of her drink.

On the school roof, Shikamaru could be found sleeping in the shade. His hair ribbon eyepatch shifted during his sleep as he played through his dream. That same dream all over again, the day he met his beloved, what they did together, how he got the hair ribbon and how they separated.

******

Shikamaru sat in the church swinging his feet.

"Stop that Shikamaru," His father ordered with a glare, the boy froze in place as his one eye widened. His other eye was gone, mangled to mush by the man who ordered him to stop. It still gave phantom pain, pain that made it almost impossible to move at times. "Get out of the church if you're going to be this disrespectful to the Lord."

Shikamaru didn't hesitate to bolt out of the church, he went to the side of the church, right at a big oak tree where he collapsed. He gripped the eyepatch as phantom pain came over him. He didn't dare cry but one could see he was in pain. He closed his other eye and took in the sounds around him. He soon heard soft footsteps and the rustling on clothes. Someone stopped in front of him. He opened his eye to see long blonde hair done up into two ponytails held by ribbons.

It was the face of a cute boy, he had tanned skin with whisker marks and big blue eyes. He was wearing a black dress that was puffed up. "Are you okay?" The voice was quiet and soothing and Shikamaru slowly lost the painful grip on his eye. "I'm Naruto, who are you?"

"Sh-Shikamaru," He stuttered and blushed when Naruto dropped himself in his lap. Naruto leaned in close and placed a small hand on his eyepatch.

"Does it hurt that much, you looked like you wanted to cry," Naruto pouted in concern. Shikamaru gave a small huff, his face expressionless now.

'It's okay, just have to get used to it I guess," Shikamaru murmured, Naruto frowned and tugged at one of his hair ribbons.

"Well I don't like your eye patch, use this instead," Naruto untied one of his ponytails to free his ribbon. It was black with church crosses all over it and white trim around the edges.

Naruto looked at the smiling blonde whose hair was now off-balanced. "Are you sure?" He found himself wanting the hair ribbon. Instead of answering Naruto pulled his eye patch off and handed the ribbon to him instead.

Shikamaru had a heated blush on his face as he used the hair ribbon to cover his eye. "See you look so much cuter," Naruto smiled and kissed his cheek.

***************

Shikamaru opened his eyes and felt he was dreaming for a moment as he was looking into the face of his childhood sweetheart only he had grown up as well. He couldn't be mistaken. That hairstyle looked like it hadn't been changed in years. Still missing an identical ribbon, a ribbon he was now wearing.

"So you were at this school," Naruto gripped his dress as he smiled at him. "I'm sorry for back then."

Shikamaru smiled a small smile as he sat up and dragged Naruto into his lap. He didn't hesitate to bury his face into his neck. "How did you find me?"

"I was at one of your underground rap battles. You still kept my ribbon."

"How could I ever throw it away?"

"But at the church-"

"My father was just a cruel man Naruto. You did nothing wrong in expressing yourself, you didn't taint me. You only liked me despite my off-putting nature."

"I still like you," Naruto mumbled. "That's why even when my family got banned and outcast I still came back to Konoha. I just needed to find you. Why do you think I kept my hair this way? I'm looking for the boy who has my other ribbon."

"You found me, I was suspended for two months," Shikamaru commented.

"I know but your friends kept calling your full name so I had to wait and see if it was you."

"And if it wasn't?"

"I would've transferred to another school and kept searching."

They stared at each other for a while. Taking in the differences and similarities between the past version of each other and the present. Naruto looked at his lips for a moment but Shikamaru caught on and took the initiative to connect them.

Locked in a sweet kiss that slowly got deeper they found peace again knowing that they wouldn't be separated from each other ever again. Their families wouldn't interfere and certainly not the church. "I'm happy," Naruto chuckled, he pressed himself closer to the Nara.

Shikamaru couldn't help the smile that fully bloomed on his lips. He would be fine now, Naruto would back him up. He kissed the blonde again, his hands clenching his cinched waist.

"I'm happy too."