Day Of The Dead

"So it only lasts for a day," Naruto asked as he was swept into his husband's arms for the first time since the war years ago. He was covered in his warmth, he could feel Shikaku's breath on his neck, the beating heart in his chest. He sobbed in his arms. He thought just having his spirit there watching him was enough, he had no idea how much he would miss hugging him and feeling the warmth of his beloved. To know that it only lasted for a day made him distraught but he wanted to make the most of it and so did Shikaku.

So today was like going back into a time machine. Naruto, Shikaku, Shikamaru, and Shikadai all went on a family outing. Take pictures bright and early. Shikamaru got extremely emotional but he was glad that he finally had a photo with his father and son together. They were extremely happy in the picture and Naruto smiled fondly to notice that he and Shikaku hadn't aged a day. "I feel so happy that this can be added to the family album. We need to get Temari, why did she have to be in Suna at this time," Naruto mused as he took the copies of the photos.

"It's okay maybe next year we'll all be together again," Shikadai looked over at his grandfather who stood over his grandmother protectively. It was funny because despite Grandma being the strongest in the village it was cute that he was protective over his smaller frame.

"I don't think I've ever seen mom's eyes as bright as this," Shikamaru murmured as he pulled Shikadai aside so that his parents to get to chat on their own. "Growing up watching them interact was the sweetest thing ever."

As he said this Shikadai got to witness how smitten the couple were with each other. It seems grandfather had a lot to get off his chest and judging from how red Naruto was getting it seemed he was confessing his love for the blonde. Naruto replied and while it was a short response to Shikaku's initial one it was enough to let the taller male smile brightly before he leaned down to kiss Naruto. Shikadai looked away but his father seemed unphased. "It's like they are newlyweds again. Then again, watching them every day was like watching love bloom."

"Listening to you wax poetry is not helping me," Shikadai balked.

"But you're about to be in the same boat as me and your grandfather," Shikamaru chuckled. "I found love similar to theirs, how do you think me and your mother keep the romance alive after all these years? And you and Inojin seem to be on the same path as us. It's sweet and reassuring to know that you've found your soulmate."

Shikadai blinked a few times at the sincere tone coupled with watching his grandparents have their little moment made him feel so happy that he could see bits of him and Inojin among them. He hoped they could grow old like his parents and grandparents, having such deep long-lasting love. "Thanks, Dad, I'm happy too. I'm glad grandma got today to have grandpa physically hold his hand one more time."

"Me too, he was a wreck after the war. I won't take all the credit but you helped snap him out of falling into his depression," Shikamaru lamented as the elderly couple began walking, gesturing for them to follow their lead.

"Me?"

"Yeah, you were just about to be born and Temari needed mom's support since he was a medical ninja. He was content to just send his best wishes but I had to get him back. I snapped at him, not my proudest moment but it helped."

"I'm glad," Shikadai confessed. "Grandma is the greatest."

Up ahead Naruto tightened his hold on Shikaku. "I can't believe this is happening. Even if only for a day I'm so happy," He dried his tears as Shikaku ruffled his hair. "I missed you so much and don't even think for a moment that I haven't forgotten about you making me think I was going senile."

Shikaku chuckled as Naruto's grip got uncomfortably tight but in all honesty, he would take a broken arm from his male wife. His adorable male wife. "I'm sorry, I wanted to tell you but I couldn't. I was content with just watching but watching you in pain made me want to stay away to give you peace. I'm sorry."

"I don't blame you, I would've done the same."

"Why didn't you move on?" Shikaku asked quietly. "You have so many suitors and you must've known I wouldn't have minded so why didn't you."

Naruto looked behind at Shikamaru and Shikadai who were deep in discussion. He smiled at them before looking up at his husband. "How could ever move on? I've waited my whole life for you. The one moment I moved on you intervened. I waited and when it finally paid off it was everything I was hoping for. I love you Shikaku and I couldn't bear to burden another man with my eternal love for you. That wouldn't be fair. Besides, I knew it would make you sad."

Shikaku couldn't hide his emotions from Naruto, the blonde was far too perceptive. Those blue eyes have always been able to dip into the deepest depths of his mind. He smiled. "You're not wrong but I don't want you to be lonely."

"I was never lonely, whenever I came close to admitting it there was Shikamaru. Then Temari and along came Shikadai and Kurama's always been there. He's not much of a talker but he'll play shogi with me most nights when it's just us," Naruto was beaming at this point, happy to talk about his big family. "I admit, I was at my lowest when you died. I was so close to ending it at times when things got away from me. But Shikamaru saved me and in some ways, unborn Shikadai did as well. I realized my role as a mother and now grandmother was not over. It was never going to be over. And then I became happy again. Watching Shikamaru and Shikadai grow filled me with so much pride."

"And I'm proud of you little blondie, you've done an amazing job," Shikaku complimented, and in a rush of overwhelming emotion, he brought Naruto into a deep kiss. Shikamaru on instinct covered Shikadai's eyes. He wasn't used to seeing his grandmother being smooched. Shikadai tried to do the same and Shikamaru appreciated his son a bit more.

The rest of the day was spent with Shikaku catching up with Chouza who came over for a big dinner. At night Naruto fell asleep in Shikaku's arms and Shikaku was hit with immense sadness as his body started to lose its physical state. He cried softly as he couldn't hold his wife anymore. "I love you Naruto."

"Love you too Shikaku," Naruto murmured in his sleep, it warmed his heart. He could wait, he's waited for so long he could wait another year.