The Nara Home

The quiet clanking of breakfast being made echoed throughout the Nara home. At the helm of the kitchen was Naruto Uzumaki Nara. He hummed quietly as he gently tapped his right root on its heel to time the small cake in the oven for later. He'd been up since 4 in the morning as it was Shikadai's birthday today. Last night his inner Uzumaki reared its head and he wouldn't let him or Shikamaru sleep until really late. Well, Naruto couldn't sleep until late, Shikamaru had mastered the art of ignoring little child limbs poking in sensitive places.

Still, Naruto took it in stride as his lazy bums made him happy. Whenever he got back from the office after nearly murdering Kakashi to do the paper work he would find them by the shogi board on the back porch sleeping together. Shikadai would curl up like a baby fawn and rest on Shikamaru's chest who was snoring away quietly. It was moments like that Naruto was forever grateful for. To come home to family was a dream he finally achieved.

As he got lost in thought the timer went off shocking him. He sighed heavily as he felt sleep trying to claim him but he was going to fight it. as any shinobi should do when they have a mission. He pulled the cake out of the oven and rested it so it could cool before jumping back into the mini-buffet breakfast he was making. Upstairs his husband was just waking up to Shikadai's tiny feet in his face as the smaller boy hugged Naruto's pillow.

Both were carbon copies just like Shikamaru had been with his father Shikaku. The only difference was that Naruto's blue eyes were set in Shikadai's sockets. Said baby Nara was drooling around his thumb onto his Papa's pillow as he slept, Shikamaru watched him from around the feet and chuckled. Shikadai always wanted to be a big boy around his Papa Naru so to see him peacefully at sleep drooling was something else. He moved around the small body and sat up to push his mused-up hair out of his face. Shikadai was starting to get his ponytail but there was still a bit of Naruto with that long streak of blonde at the front that just made him all the more unique.

Shikamaru gently pushed the hair out of his son's face and smiled at the miracle. Shikadai wasn't easy to conceive. He was conceived on a petri dish before Temari insisted she would carry their baby. They combined their sperm with the help of Lady Tsunade who then took one of Temari's eggs and removed all DNA properties so the child wouldn't bear any of her features before combining both egg and sperm in a petri dish before injecting it into Temari's womb.

It was difficult and Naruto almost gave up at times whenever Temari fell ill at times due to some complications but in the end, they got their baby boy. And it was a beautiful day second to the day he married Naruto. He pried Shikadai off the pillow and onto his bare chest. He slightly cringed when he felt the drool but he endured as a shinobi should and got up to see what his husband was doing downstairs. Their home was decorated with everything that had to do with them.

Naruto was and still is ecstatic whenever Shikadai does something to put on the walls. He would frame it like the cliche proud parent and brag to no end whenever they had their friends over. Most days you could find Shikadai being guarded by Anbu in the Nara forest drawing deer and petting them. Naruto would join him when he could and the two would play together, Shikamaru would watch from afar but Naruto always sensed him so he would end up in the pile as well until he fell asleep on his husband's lap holding his child.

He was happy, happy he had a loving husband, a miracle child, and such a loving home to raise him in just as he had. And despite Naruto being an orphan it helped when it came to ensuring Shikadai never felt neglected or loved. When he finally reached downstairs Naruto was plating breakfast and stacking cushions on the chair for Shikadai. He refused to get in the high chair anymore as he was too old for that sort of stuff. Even then Naruto still wanted him to be safe.

"Good morning," Shikamaru greeted as he came into full view. Naruto grinned at him and came over to kiss him and plant one on Shikadai's forehead.

"Morning lazy bums, the -wait is he drooling," Naruto squealed as he gripped Shikamaru's biceps. "That's so cute."

"I'm sure it won't when you see the pile he left on your pillow," Shikamaru teased, Naruto blanched and shuddered a bit.

"Say no more, I'll just change the set," Naruto headed back over to finish the cushion stacking he was doing and brought over Shikamaru's coffee as he sat at the table to try and wake Shikadai.

"Birthday baby time to get up," Shikamaru said as he rubbed circles in the boy's back. Shikadai chewed on his thumb and whined when Shikamaru pulled it out of his mouth. Sure enough, Shikadai opened his blue eyes to look at his father with a pouted lip. "Aren't you going to eat the breakfast buffet Papa cooked for you?"

At the mention of his Papa Shikadai's eyes widened as he realized that he was a mess. He quickly wiped his mouth and thumb in his nightclothes. Naruto who watched him from behind laughed as he covered his mouth to not embarrass his small baby. Shikamaru outwardly laughed which earned annoyed pouts and little hands thrown on his chest. "Alright, alright you clean, he won't notice a thing, I promise," Shikamaru said between chuckles.

Naruto backed up in the kitchen and made an entrance like he hadn't seen anything. "Is birthday boy up now, look at you, you turning 5," Naruto cooed as he lifted him from Shikamaru and into his chest. Shikadai smiled and kissed his Papa's cheek. "I should be the one giving kisses, c'mere."

Shikadai squealed as he was pelted with kisses from Naruto, he gripped his Papa's loose shirt and tugged signaling he wanted his final one. One that was placed tenderly on his forehead. Shikadai didn't feel right going through the day without it so Naruto humored him always.

"Alright breakfast and then you're helping me decorate your birthday cake for later," Naruto said placing him on the pile of cushions. Shikadai nodded happily before leaning forward to grab his mini-chopsticks and try to use them instead of stabbing the food with them.

Naruto and Shikamaru watched him with eyes filled with love. Their little one would soon be big and all mature like he wanted to be.

"I just want us to raise him right," Naruto said as his voice trembled. Shikadai was too occupied trying to grab sausage to notice.

"We will, he's such a sweet one."