Reunited

Naruto was bouncing on his feet as he dragged Shikamaru to a private area. The Nara looked bored with the entire situation but went along with it because Naruto was his friend, his very annoying perky friend with a great soul. They were in an abandoned training ground when Naruto stopped and faced him. "Come on Naruto we have to get back before our mission starts," Shikamaru said in a gentle tone with a smile, he knew Naruto didn't like to be yelled at.

Naruto grinned at him. "I love you."

Shikamaru chuckled at the blonde's silliness. "Naruto I love you too but you seriously didn't need to drag us all the way out here."

Naruto's grip on his hand became tighter and Shikamaru looked down at him in concern. The blonde looked like he was about to cry. "Hey, what's the matter, is it the war? Naruto we can get through this, there's no need for sentiments. You know I'm not a sap."

"It's partially because of the incoming war but it's mostly just me trying to get it out before then. Hoping that maybe, just maybe you can reciprocate."

"What are you getting at?" Shikamaru asks but he was already putting pieces into place.

"My love for you stopped being platonic 3 years ago," Naruto whispered as he tried keeping a straight face. "It's uncommon but I love you romantically."

"It's not right, it's not right Naruto," Shikamaru says as he tried to rationalize what he was hearing. "We can't be together."

Naruto swallowed and looked down while still holding onto the other's hand. "I knew you would say that but I still want to try and win you over. So please give me this chance."

"But it's going to hurt you, even more, Naruto, I won't change my mind on this. Men arent' to be together, it's just not right."

"You say that but I've accepted that someday it will be acceptable. For it to be acceptable then someone has to break from the norm. It just so happens to be me since I can't stop my heart's love for you," Naruto said as he leaned up to place the only kiss he would ever get to give to Shikamaru who then, in turn, pushed him away gently.

"We have to go."

Naruto nodded and the two-headed back to their group of friends. Shikamaru noted that Naruto was much closer to him this time around, in his personal bubble. 'Just ignore it,' He told himself. Besides Naruto would see he wasn't going to change anyway.

***********

Shikamaru idly flicked his lighter on and off as he waited for Ino to get his flowers ready. It seemed the rain wasn't over in its job to wash away the blood bath that had ended a month ago. Shikamaru remembered the day in all its jarring details. One of the most treasured moments despite the smell of dead flesh everywhere was Naruto's hands holding his cheeks despite bleeding out from a gaping hole in his stomach. He still smiled at Shikamaru so warmly despite the blood pouring from his lips, coloring his usual brilliant white smile red, his tanned skin slowly becoming like paper.

He still remembers his last words. Even after all the failed dates, the failed intimate moments, and Shikamaru's stubborn insistence that they shouldn't be together coupled with Naruto's brave smile for taking it on the chin. He still professed his love for Shikamaru, no goodbye messages for other's who had survived, no tearful recollection of memories from childhood. It was just Naruto telling how happy he was that Shikamaru had at least tried to accept him romantically and that he loved him even more for that.

His last words were of love for the Nara and every time he replays the words he remembers his reaction to it. He realized he had loved Naruto, all the same, he was just internalizing it and buried it in favor of accepting the norm that had been laid out for him all their lives. It was just what Naruto said in his confession. "In order for something to become acceptable first some has to break from the norm." A bouquet of daisies was in his face and he looked up at one of his lifelong best friends and knew tears were running down his face.