Out of the Woods

Around an hour later Jack is sat in the armchair with their newborn daughter laying in his arms, while Nikki sleeps on the bed, he was happy she was out of the woods and asleep as it was touch and go earlier. She is now on the road to recovery after hemorrhaging quite severely and receiving two units of blood from a rapid transfusion stand.

Jack continues to watch Nikki sleep with a small smile on his face, he then looks down at his sleeping daughter which causes his small smile to burst into a bigger smile, he really couldn't wait to tell Nikki that she was the heaviest baby yet, weighing in at 7lbs 5oz. Despite her weight, she still looked so small against Jack.

Although deep down he knew Nikki would be either annoyed or sad she didn't get that skin to skin contact as soon as their daughter was born, and he knew, even more, she would be annoyed that their daughter was given bottled formula first as she started to get hungry and agitated.
Jack continues to look down at his daughter and smiles, "You may be bruised and squished but I can see you're going to look like your Mummy, wee one," Jack smiles and gently kisses her forehead and gently strokes her fine blonde hair with his thumb.

Soon Nikki stirs and looks across at Jack tiredly, "How are you feeling?" Jack quizzes.
"Like I've been hit by a double-decker bus," Nikki mumbles weakly.
Jack smiles warmly at her and sits forwards altering their daughter in his arms slightly, "Not too tired to hold your daughter I hope?" Jack smiles his accent soft and calming.

She smiles slightly and sits herself up, "She's okay?" She speaks as she struggles to sit herself up due to feeling weak.
"Bill of health, nothing wrong with her, the shoulder is absolutely fine," Jack responds as he allows his wife to see their daughter. Nikki moves the pillows and accidentally catch something which makes her wince, she looks down and lifts up the covers, "Yeah... they put a catheter in because of the epidural, you also have five lovely stitches down there," he adds trying to make light of the situation.

She looks at her bare legs and notices the bloodstains which someone has clearly tried to clean up, "I'm a mess," she simply says.

Jack looks at her unsure of what to say before thinking of something to say, "Aren't you going to hold her?" Jack asks. She nods and then Jack stands up carrying their daughter over to her, he gently places their daughter down in Nikki's arms. "Here we go, you got her?" Jack smiles and Nikki nods as she looks at her daughter, a few tears forming in her eyes.
"She's beautiful, Jack... I can't believe we made her," Nikki smiles as the emotion breaks in her voice sending it high pitched.
Jack smiles and kisses her on the head, "she's a dote... I'm proud of you," Jack smiles before stepping back and taking his phone off the side and opening up the camera app and snapping some photos of Nikki holding their daughter while she isn't paying attention.

He sits back down and moves the chair forwards a little more and sits watching Nikki admire her newborn, Nikki soon unbuttons he pyjama top and gently rests her daughter against her chest. "That's better," Nikki smiles.
"Are you going to feed her? the midwife said you should be fine to breastfeed her, but the nurse did give her one and a half ounces of milk because she got agitated and was hungry," Jack explains.

Nikki's face drops and she just looks at Jack, "But I was meant to feed her, you knew what my birth plan was, why didn't you respect my wishes," Nikki responds as she tries to sit up but winces as her whole body aches.
"Why? well an hour and a half ago you almost died on me... again, that is why I didn't respect your wishes," Jack explains and Nikki's face changes slightly as she looks at him unsure of how to respond, she instead just nods and looks down at her daughter.

"She needs a name," She speaks softly as she continues to keep the newborn on her chest and strokes her tiny clenched fist.
Jack nods in agreement before clearing his throat, "Can I make a suggestion for her?" Jack smiles as he gets up and perches on the side of the hospital bed. Nikki smiles and smiles as he takes hold of her name, "What about Orla?" Jack asks.

Nikki thinks to herself for a moment and looks down at her daughter, "She does seem like an Orla you know, why did you think of that one?" Nikki asks.
"My Granny was called Orla, she died when I was five," Jack explains.
"I like that, it's sweet. Orla Hodgson," Nikki smiles happily as she gently places her hand on her daughter's back. Jack leans forwards and kisses Nikki on the lips, "She's our last now," Nikki responds.
"I know, it's time to stop," Jack agrees.
"I'm sorry you never got the son you wanted," She sighs slightly.
"Don't worry, four girls are just as good, at least one of them will be boy-ish," Jack responds and Nikki nods with a slight laugh, "It's definitely going to be Maddison, without any doubts" Jack adds.

She rolls her eyes and shakes her head, "We'll have to wait and see," She responds.
Jack smirks with a nod before admiring Orla with Nikki for a while, "You know she's the heaviest, seven pounds and five ounces. No wonder you struggled with her," Jack responds.
"Yeah literally tore me in half," Nikki chuckles as Jack leans in and kisses her on the lips again and then pulls away and kisses Orla on the head.