Unexpected News

An hour and a half later, Nikki had arrived at the local private doctor's surgery. She is currently sat in the doctor's office having her blood pressure taken to rule out high blood pressure or anything cardiac-related. "...Well Mrs. Hodgson your blood pressure is normal and I have no causes for concerns about your general health. Do you drink alcohol regularly?" 

Nikki thinks to herself, she had drunk a lot recently with the current rise in work cases she was dealing with. "Erm, yes... wouldn't you if you had four daughters and a full-time job to juggle?" 

"How much would you say you drink a day?" The doctor quizzes. 
"I'm not an alcoholic if that is what you are trying to get at... but a glass of wine... just the one on a tough day." 

"How big would you say your wine glass is," He asks her.
"The average size wine glasses... they're from Next if you want to know that too," Nikki rolls her eyes. 

The doctor nods and turns back to his computer and begins to write up what she is telling him, "Right, I am going to suggest a blood and urine sample to rule out" He once again gets cut off by Nikki. 
"What now you think I am a drug addict too?" She responds. 
"No, no... it's just precaution." 

The doctor pulls out a small tube from the drawer and hands it over to Nikki, sending her out of the room she goes and takes the urine sample. Upon her return she passes the sample tube back to the doctor, "Have you drank much today, that is rather dark urine," The doctor quizzes. 

"I haven't sat down yet to even think about drinking or eating," Nikki responds with a frown. 
The doctor pulls out a set of testing strips and begins to test for various infections, as he runs those tests he draws enough blood from Nikki to check her hormone levels to see if she could be correct about early onset menopause. 

He quickly labels up the blood tests to be sent away to the labs when he notices the urine test's coming back. Glancing over he notices there isn't any sign of infection, on the next test he notices something oddly familiar that he sees quite recently although the colour is far darker than he would expect. "I know this could be quite personally Mrs Hodgson... but when were you last sexually active?" He quizzes. 

Nikki stops and laughs at his question, "You've got to be kidding right? I have four children, I don't even get a moment of peace on the toilet, never mind getting enough privacy to be 'Active'... why do you think I have an STI?..." She speaks the panic slowly setting in as every scenario possible surfaces. 

"No, No... any idea when though?" He asks.
"Well... my birthday was the last time I got any form of privacy with my husband." 

"Well it would shock you to know that you are pregnant," He speaks glancing at her. 

Nikki's face drops and her skin tone turns ghostly pale, "What!" She chokes.
"And from the look of this test, you are halfway approximately," The doctor responds examining the dip test further. 

Nikki swallows nervously and looks at the doctor, raising her hand to her head she makes eye contact with the doctor, "I..I don't ... feel so good," She mumbles. 

Suddenly her body slumps forwards and her world goes black, the next thing Nikki knows she regains consciousness to a familiar voice calling her name. She groans as she opens her eyes to see Jack crouched in front of her holding both her hands, "Thank god... you're alive," He grins cheerfully. 

"Hmm, just about," She whispers. 
"What happened?" Jack curiously. 
Nikki leans back and looks at Jack her eyes drooping slightly, "We're having another baby, Jack," She responds taking a deep breath in as she leans forwards onto him. 

Jack wraps his arms around her small frame and holds her close, "Don't get falling asleep, shall we get you home?" Jack speaks before looking at the doctor for the go-ahead, the doctor gives a slight nod and quickly types something in Nikki's notes as he watches Jack help Nikki to her feet. 

"I shall see she rests for today, then... we sort out this unexpected news," He responds with a nervous laugh at the prospect of becoming a father again. Standing Nikki up straight she grabs his arm as he collects her bag and jacket before leaving the doctors surgery and heading off home in almost deadly silence.