Ghosts From the Past

Nikki lifts Freya and places her in the pushchair and straps her in before putting a few things under the pushchair in the basket. Nikki glances back at the man still stood looking at her, "You're not meant to be here," Nikki panics.
"Come on Niks, I know I've messed up in the past but now is a time for making up," He speaks stepping forward.
"Yes, you have messed up in the past, like how you're meant to be six feet under... who the fuck did I bury then?" Nikki snaps as she gets the girls ready to move on.

Nikki looks at the man and then back down at her daughters noticing him looking at them, "So you not going to introduce them?" He quizzes.
"No! You're dead to me... and you are meant to be dead..." Nikki speaks as she takes Maddison by the harness reins and then walks off with the girls, "Poppy, come on... now!" She says in a raised tone and Poppy skips merrily to catch up with her mother.

Nikki starts walking up the pavement towards the road with Poppy, Maddison, and Freya, she looks over her shoulder to see the person following her, she pulls her phone out and calls Jack but the call goes straight to answer machine. "Come on Niks, let me explain to you... it's all a mess... I needed to take myself out the situation I got myself into," He explains.

She stops and turns to look at him, "Nice try, what do you want now? Money? because I can't give you any money..." She snaps.
"I don't want your money... I... Nik's listen please, I just want to spend time with my daughter..." He smiles.
"No! Dad... you died a very long time ago. I buried you... well-buried someone..." She shouts before walking off with the girls and heading home.

As soon as she arrives home she takes the girls cardigan and shoes off. "Right go play," Nikki speaks. Nikki watches Poppy and Maddison walk off into the playroom before leaning against the wall and giving a heavy sigh as she looks down at Freya last asleep in the pushchair.

Nikki walks to the kitchen and turns the kettle on, she grabs a mug and then gets the tea bags out. She sighs as she attempts to keep herself calm, She looks up at the cupboard door and looks at one of Poppy's drawing for a moment, "You're seeing things Nikki, you're fine that didn't happen" She breathes unsteadily.

The kettle comes to the boil bringing Nikki back into the world, she pours herself a cup of tea before turning around and sitting herself down at the kitchen table. She closes her eyes for a brief moment before hearing a small voice, which makes her jump. "Mummy?" Poppy says quietly as she walks into the kitchen holding her baby doll in her arms tightly.

"Hm? what is it, Poppy?" Nikki sighs.
Poppy walks over to the kitchen table and looks up at her mother, curiosity written all over her face "Mummy? who was that man? Why did he call you Niks? Who is Niks?" Poppy quizzes.

Nikki is put on the spot for a brief second as she looks at her daughter blankly, "He is no one... don't worry about it sweetheart, why did he scare you?" Nikki asks as she pulls the five-year-old up onto her lap, she wraps her arms around her tightly and kisses her head.

"No Mummy, I just wanted to know..." Poppy smiles.
"Gosh, aren't you like your Dad when you do that?" Nikki smiles warmly and kisses her daughters head again.
"Mummy, stop it! I'm a big girl I don't need baby kisses!" Poppy protests with a giggle.
"Aww really? are you too grown up now Pops?" Nikki smirks.
"Yes Mummy, I'm nearly six," She giggles.

Nikki chuckles and kisses Poppy on the head causing Poppy to squirm and slip down off her lap to the floor. "You will always be my baby though," Nikki smiles at her.

Poppy huffs and brushes both her plaits over her shoulders before bobbing her tongue out at Nikki. "What about Maddie and Freya, are they your babies too?" Poppy asks.

"Of course they are, they will always be my babies too, but you were my very first," Nikki smiles warmly and the five-year-old hugs her mother tightly before skipping off merrily to the lounge, Nikki smiles and rolls her eyes before looking back at her cup of tea and picking it up.