Running Tests

Later on Jack and Nikki are sat in the consultation room with the midwife who has seen to Nikki about the bleeding. "Okay well your blood pressure is normal, we will do a water test too but for now we're going to do a scan and check up on the baby" the midwife smiles.

Nikki nods knowing the drill and lowers her jeans off her stomach and gets up on the examination bed and rolls her top up. Jack sits down by Nikki and holds her hand. The midwife puts the gel on her stomach and then presses the Doppler down on her stomach. While the midwife runs some tests she decides to pick up a conversation with them, "so have you found out the gender yet?" She questions the couple.

"No, well we want to wait" Jack smiles as he looks at Nikki. "But by the look on her face she already knows..." Jack adds which a chuckle.

The midwife raises an eyebrow a little confused, "I'm a doctor" Nikki smiles.
"Oh," the midwife smiles as she turns back to the screen.
"So go on then Nik, what are we having? I can tell by the look on your face you know. You've got that smile again" he responds.

Nikki smiles happily at him. "A girl," she replies.
"Again!" Jack speaks in a high tone. "I give up" he chuckles and Nikki hits him playfully on the arm. "Can you confirm it?"

The midwife looks closely at the screen and nods. "Most definitely a girl, is there an issue with that?" She quizzes.

"No, no. We're only good at producing girls it seems..." Jack smirks.
"We already have three girls" Nikki responds to the midwife who nods and smiles.

They both fall silent for a moment before the midwife turns the sound up. "Here we go, she's happily kicking away," she midwife smiles as she turns the screen to them.

"Oh my gosh... look at her" Jack smiles his eyes welling up slightly.
"Get a grip" Nikki smirks, she watches the screen for a little while longer before the midwife prints off the scan for her. They then run the water tests to see what the bleeding was caused by.

Nikki returns from the toilet with a small sample, the midwife runs a quick dip test before receiving the results back. "Ahh here is the cause of the bleeding Mrs Hodgson. You have an urinary tract infection, as you probably are aware we can treat this with a course of antibiotics, so I shall get the on call doctor to come write you a prescription up for you" The midwife smiles and then cleans up and sorts out Nikki's notes before calling the doctor in to write up a prescription.

Soon the midwife lets Jack and Nikki go with a simple prescription for her UTI. They both walk out to the car park and Jack looks at the time. "We've got an two and a half before we have to pick Poppy up from school. How about I give you a guided tour of our home?" He smiles as he takes hold of her hand.

"Sounds like a plan" Nikki smiles.
Jack takes hold of her hand and guides her to her car. "I'm driving no complaining" he smiles as he gets into the drivers side.

They arrive home and sit on the drive way for a moment. Nikki sighs contently and looks at Jack. "Home... finally" she smiles.

Jack smiles and then gets out the car at the same time as Nikki. They head inside and Nikki smiles happily as she notices most things are back where they belong. "So they left the lounge as it is, the kitchen looks amazing, come see" Jack smiles and takes hold of her hand.

Jack guides her through to the kitchen which had been renovated and made bigger. "Oh, this is amazing" Nikki smiles as Jack wraps his arms around her from behind.

"Enough room for the tribe then?" He chuckles as he kisses her neck.
"Definitely, don't have to squeeze them onto a table now" Nikki smiles as she moves away from him and walks around her kitchen.

After a little while of getting her bearings in the kitchen they head into the newest part of their home which is an office come play room and was originally their disused garage.
Jack and Nikki then head upstairs to see the complete change around and the two smaller rooms which have been added over the old garage. "I can't believe it's all finished,
Oh Jack did you get this done?" Nikki smiles noticing the small name plaques of their girls bedroom doors. "Poppy is going to love this" Nikki smiles as she walks into Poppy's freshly decorated room. She turns around to face Jack and wraps her arms around him.

"Taking it, this is now our own home? Not just yours. But mine and the girls too" Jack smiles as he kisses her.
"I love you" she mumbles against his lips.
"I love you too, now I hear you have to break in the new mattress? How about a cheeky ten minutes" Jack smiles as his hands get lower on her back, guiding her out their daughters room and to their own.

"Oh Jack, I'm far too pregnant to be mattress trampolining," Nikki chuckles.

Jack rolls his eyes and holds her hand. "You know what I mean Mrs, sex."

He guides her over to the bed and Nikki sits down. "Oh this is comfy" she responds as she bounces slightly.

Jack walks around the other side of the bed. "Shot gun this side closest to the en-suite" he smirks.
"Child" she rolls her eyes and then kicks her shoes off and puts her feet up. They both shuffle into the middle of the bed and Nikki rests her head on his chest. "You're warm" she mumbles as she closes her eyes and gets comfy.

"Don't get falling asleep we've got to pick Poppy up in an hour," Jack speaks as he strokes her back gently.
"Five minutes" she mumbles and Jack obliges and closes his eyes too.

Sometime later Nikki haves her to phone ringing, she is still against Jack who is waking too. She reaches for her phone and answers it, "Hello?" Nikki speaks.
"Mrs Hodgson? This is Miss Price..." she begins.
"Yes?" She responds realising it's a teacher from Poppy's school.
"Are you collecting Poppy from school today? Sorry we read your notes and we know your line of work..." Miss Price responds.

"Oh my goodness sorry, I will be there right away!" Nikki panics as she ends the call and clambers off the bed. "Shit shit shit!" Nikki panics as she puts her shoes back on.

"What's happened?" Jack questions.
"We've over slept, its half three, were half hour late!" Nikki panics as she grabs her phone and rushes off downstairs.

Jack heads down after her, "hey calm down, you heard the midwife, stop stressing yourself out, come on we'll both go together" Jack speaks as they collect a few things and Nikki grabs a bottle of flavoured water for Poppy.

They head off in the car and end up waiting in traffic. While in traffic Nikki sits looking at her phone become coming across an email, "oh... the institute of pathologists... oh my, I'm receiving an award for dedication to the service" she beams as she looks across at Jack.

"How many years?" Jack questions.
"Fifteen" she responds with a smile.
"Bloody hell, that's dedication" he chuckles keeping his eyes on the road.
"Fifteen years at the Lyell. I've been else where too so that's around twenty years of service" she smiles.