Head Screwed on

Nikki walks into the Lyell after her hospital appointment for her twenty weeks scan, although she is twenty-one weeks pregnant she couldn't get an appointment for exactly twenty weeks pregnant. She walks over to her desk and takes her jacket off before straightening out her dress revealing her bump more, she runs her hand over her stomach and smiles down at it before being interrupted by Clarissa who is sat at her desk smirking at Nikki. "...So how did the scan go? Is Baby Hodgson okay?" Clarissa asks as she clears her throat.

She sits down and smiles at Clarissa, "Yes, perfectly fine, no issues, apart from being slightly on the small side but I've been like that with all three girls before. I have another check-up scan in July just to take measurements, but all fine and dandy."

"Oh, that's good, so has the gender being confirmed, or is Jack praying for a miracle?" Clarissa quizzes.
Nikki chuckles and rolls her eyes before responding, "Yep, definitely a girl again. I think Jack is warming to the idea of a fourth girl."

She picks up a few pieces of paperwork and then walks to the photocopier, "So where is Jack? he isn't sulking because he's not getting a son?" Clarissa asks.
Nikki opens up the photocopier and then places her paperwork down, "Oh no, he's gone to drop something off at Poppy's school, she forgot her P.E kit, swear that daughter of mine would forget her head if it wasn't secured on," Nikki smirks as she finds herself gently stroking her stomach while waiting for the copier to work.

"Takes after Jack then?" Clarissa chuckles and Nikki nods with a smirk, she finishes copying her paperwork and takes the new prints too and places them in a file.
"I'm going to set up the meeting room, I've got that meeting with the DCI on the Janette Mulder case" She speaks as she walks off with her files against her hip and leaves the offices.

Later on that day Jack has just arrived at the Lyell and just in time for the meeting, he walks into the meeting room to see the DCI and officers on the case greeting Nikki, "Hi... sorry I'm late, Children..." Jack smirks and rolls his eyes.

Nikki smirks and walks over to Jack before the meeting starts, "Everything okay, did you get the stuff to her?" Nikki smiles.
"Calm down she's only five, and yes, her teacher wants us to know that her sports day is next week, I think she said Thursday" Jack mumbles and Nikki nods before walking across the room and sitting down as the DCI starts the conversation.

"So as you are all aware we have held Ann Blake in custody as all forensic evidence which Mr Hodsgon gave in was pointing to Ann Blake being at the crime scene..."
Nikki sits slightly moving side to side in her chair and rests her hand on her bump as she listens to the police officers. "And as you are also aware Ann Blake is an accident." The younger officer speaks.

"Well, if it was an accident, it was an extremely convenient one for somebody... Jack did you get onto the lab about the bone marrow results?" Nikki speaks as she looks at DCI Hopewell and then back at Jack.
Jack looks up at Nikki from his notes, "The lab can take a couple of weeks over the tests. But I can tell you about the mud samples which I took from around Janette Mulder right now," Jack explains and shuffles his paper work to find what he is after.

"Please do proceed Jack," DCI Hopewell speaks.
"This mud is commenly found around a laurel tree, there are trases of pollen from the Laurel tree... coindientally found on Black Manor farm. Which Ann Blake owns, So if there's heavy metal in the ground water, it'll be concentrated n the leaves and the ground. This one has salt of uranium." Jack explains as he stands up and shows the police officers on the interactive board at the front of the room. "Also this was found on the bottom of Dr. Alexander's shoes too," Jack adds.

"So, it's in the water and the soil on Black Manor farm," DCI Hopewell speaks as she figures out the situation too.
"Black Manor farm, is next to the water reservoir, which means the local drinking water could be contaminated, which could lead to elevated levels of kidney disease in the area," Nikki explains as she carefully taps the table with her pen.

"How would untraium get onto the farm in the first place, surely all the crops would be contaminated with that too?" DCI Hopewell quizzes Nikki.
"You find natural uranium over half the country," Jack speaks up.
"When I performed the post-mortem of Janette Mulder, I found three different types of cancer including cancer of the kidneys," Nikki explains as she gets up beside Jack and brings up the photos of the cancers she found in the post-mortem.

"So the uriamium has been giving people cancer? So Ann Blake killed Janette Mulder because she knew that there was untramium on the farm and tried to stop her from selling produce?" DCI Hopewell quizzes.

Jack looks over at DCI Hopewell, "No, It would pass straight through the body and ben expelled in the unrine."
"So Ms Mulder, was murdered but had mutiple cancers caused by uranium?" DCI Hopewell asks.
"Exactly, She was on a downhill slope though, eventually the toxic metal will poison the kidneys and in time her body would shut down" Nikki explains as she bites her pen, Jack sits back down and smirks at Nikki as he admires her body and casts his eyes over her bump and smiles warmly to himself.

"In the notes you gave me Dr. Alexander it says Ms Mulder had... Fanconi Syndrome, Can we get a second post-mortem done to confirm this," DCI Hopewell asks.

Nikki looks at her stunned, "What, seriously?" She asks.
"Yes, Could Professor Chamberlain do it? as soon as possible?" Another police officer asks.
Nikki puts her hands on her hips, "Why aren't my findings good enough?" She asks. "I've done everything I can and by the book!" Nikki huffs as she start to feel sick, she puffs again and tries to take her mind off being sick.
"Dr. Alexander!" Jack warns not wanting Nikki to get stressed out too much.
Nikki huffs and gives in, "Okay, I shall get Professor Chamberlain to do your second opinion!" She huffs and then leaves the meeting room quickly as she starts to feel sick and the vomit rising up her throat.

She dashes into the toilets and throws herself over the toilet, Jack soon opens the door to the female toilets, "Nikki?" Jack calls out.
"I'll be back soon, Sorry, Morning sickness..." Nikki mumbles as she gets up from the toilet and flushes the toilet and heads over to the sink.

"But you haven't had any at all this pregnancy" Jack replies.
"Until now" Nikki huffs as she washes her mouth out before walking out the bathroom with Jack and back to the meeting room and apologises to the police officers before finishing off the meeting.