Undercooked

Later on that evening Jack has just arrived home from work to be greeted by Poppy and Maddison who dash through to the hallway to greet him. He walks into the lounge and sees Freya sat on the floor playing with her toys before walking into the kitchen to see Nikki preparing their dinner.

"Hey, I'm back," Jack speaks up as he walks over to her and wraps his arms around her from behind.
Nikki instantly turns to look at him, "Your early," She smiles slightly.

Jack instantly notices how on edge she seems and raises an eyebrow before waiting for a response, Nikki doesn't respond but simply raises an eyebrow back at him. "What's wrong Nik? You seem off?" Jack quizzes.

She takes a breath and thinks quickly before coming back with a response before Jack gets suspicious, "Baby that's all, she's back to back again, making my life harder."

Jack chuckles happily at her and places his hands on her bump, he gently strokes her and looks down at Nikki, he notices something still isn't' right but before he can say anymore there is a yell from the lounge followed by Maddison walking in tearfully. "What's wrong Maddie?" Jack quizzes as he pulls away from Nikki.

"Poppy... pinched me..." Maddison whines as she holds her arm out to her parents. Nikki goes to step forward but Jack steps in front of her and goes to sort Poppy and Maddison out leaving Nikki to finalise the dinner.

Twenty minutes later, Nikki dishes up the dinner for the five on them and then takes the plates to the kitchen table where Jack helps Nikki get a fussy Freya into her highchair and secure her in which instantly Freya starts screaming loudly and thrashing around.

Jack sits beside Maddison to make sure she eats her dinner and Poppy sits beside Nikki while she feeds Freya as she eats her own too, "You've got to eat something Freya," Nikki sighs as she puts a piece of pasta on the spoon and brings it to her mouth.

Freya shakes her head and bats the spoon away from her mouth. Nikki sighs before standing up and walking to the refrigerator. "Nikki... what are you doing?" Jack asks.

"Reverse psychology," Nikki smirks as she grabs a yoghurt from the refrigerator. "I did it with Poppy when she went through that fussy faze."

Nikki sits back down and opens up the yoghurt before dipping a piece of pasta in the strawberry yoghurt, she takes the spoon and then brings is close to Freya's mouth. Freya instantly clamps her mouth shut and looks away, Nikki then managed to dap the spoon on Freya's lip.

Jack watches in amazement as Freya licks her lip and stops crying before opening her mouth and taking the piece of pasta. As Freya begins to eat her dinner Nikki looks across at Poppy who is pushing her pasta around the plate after eating the small chopped up sausages, "What is wrong with your pasta Pops?" Nikki asks.

She then glances at Jack who is doing the same and is chewing a little more thoroughly than normal, "Nikki?" He speaks as he struggles to stab the pasta with his fork.

Nikki glares at Jack and raises an eyebrow as she realises Jack is about to tell her the Pasta is undercooked. "Actually... never mind," Jack mumbles.
"Thought so, if the girls can eat is so can you," Nikki hisses. Jack glances at Poppy beside Nikki and watches her push her food around her plate before nibbling a little more on a piece of pasta.

Later on, all three girls are in bed for the evening and Jack is just settling Poppy who is the last to go to bed. He is currently sat on the bed and has just finished reading a book to Poppy, "Daddy?" Poppy asks curiously.

"Yes, darling?" Jack smiles looking down at Poppy who is tucked in with her comfort bear.
"Why was Mummy crying earlygo?" Poppy asks.
"Earlier?" Jack corrects and Poppy nods with a small smile.
"I'm not sure do you know why?" Jack asks.

"Who is Niks, Daddy? the dead man was calling Niks in the park?" Poppy quizzes sitting herself up slightly looking to her father for answers.
"Don't worry sweetheart, I will ask Mummy soon," Jack smiles kissing Poppy on the head.
"Daddy? Why did Mummy call that man Dad?" Poppy responds. Jack shrugs softly before laying Poppy down again and setting the nightlight off before kissing her on the head and leaving the room and turning the main light off.

Jack heads downstairs to where Nikki is sat in the lounge watching TV with her feet up, stroking her bump in a repetitive action. Jack sits down in the armchair and looks across at Nikki, Nikki picks up her cup of tea off the coffee table and rests it on her bump. She looks across at Jack noticing him watching her, "...So are you going to talk to me about today?" He quizzes.

"It was a lovely day, a nice walk around the park with the girls," She responds simply before looking back at the TV. Jack reaches across and grabs the remote control and pauses the TV.

Nikki looks across at him and raises an eyebrow, "So?" He adds. He copies her facial expression before they fall into an awkward silence as he awaits Nikki's response.

Nikki looks down at her lap and sighs after a few minutes of silence as she feels the pressure mounting on her, "Oh we bumped into someone who thought they knew me... but I didn't know who they were," She lies and bites her lip.
"Bullshit... Poppy has already told me what's gone on, time to tell the truth Nik, I can tell when you're lying..." Jack smirks.
"I'm not lying, you know what Poppy's imagination has been like lately, wild..." She smiles.

Jack smirks and shakes his head, "Nikki... tell the truth, you are lying."
Nikki sighs and looks down at her lap as she begins to cave in, "Sorry," She begins.
"You told me your dad was dead..." Jack responds.
"He was! I promise you, He's playing mind games Jack, I buried him... he's dead..." Nikki says getting herself wound up.

Jack stands up and walks over to Nikki, he places his arm around her as he comforts her noticing she seems really wound up and upset about the whole situation. Eventually, Jack manages to bring her down to some form of calm and decide they need to confront Victor about the situation together.