You Never Know What's Around the Corner

Today has been a busy day for both Jack and Nikki who have been overrun with work at the Lyell, luckily for Nikki Maddison has been in the nursery and is staying till late and Freya has also started at the same nursery in the baby room. Unfortunately for both parents, the school has called Nikki to tell them that Poppy has a temperature and isn't feeling well. Nikki has just collected Poppy from school and is now walking her to the car, "Mummy my head and throat hurt" Poppy speaks as they cross the road to Nikki's car.

"I know sweetie, I think I have some Calpol in the car, but when we get home you can have your pyjamas on, we can put Moana on the tv and have a cuddle on the sofa" Nikki smiles happily.
"I would like that Mummy, can we cuddle with Milly and her kittens too?" Poppy asks as Nikki helps her into the back of the car.
"Why not" Nikki smiles kissing her daughter on the head before closing the door and opening the boot, she finds a bag she usually takes out when she takes the girls out and finds some Calpol before giving it to Poppy.

Nikki climbs into the driver's seat, they soon head off in the direction of home, during the journey a light flashes up on her dashboard which indicates that one of her tyres may have an issue, she ignores it due to being only five minutes from home. Suddenly there is a loud pop and Nikki feels her steering wheel become heavier and harder to use. "Mummy what was that!" Poppy asks.
"Nothing sweetie" Nikki responds as she fights with the steering wheel. As she comes around the corner the car drifts but unfortunately a van is coming round the corner at the same time and has drifted onto Nikki's side of the road. Suddenly the van and car collide and the van spins the car slightly off the road.

Nikki wakes to her head resting on the steering wheel, blood dripping down her forehead, a dull ache in her one leg and glass all over herself and the passenger seat. Nikki groans and lifts her head up looking around to see the man in the van that hit her clambering out of his van, gradually Nikki hears a very panicked voice, "Mummy, Mummy, Mummy! Wake up, I'm scared!" Poppy cries, as Nikki is brought back into reality, she tries to move but is met but a sharp pain, she looks down to see a shard of glass sticking out her leg.

"Poppy, we're going to be fine, you need to stay still okay" Nikki speaks trying to soothe the four-year-old.
Poppy doesn't listen to Nikki and unclips herself form the car seat. "Poppy, don't move! you could be hurt..." Nikki speaks as the four-year-old clambers into the front seat.
"Mummy your leg!" Poppy panics as she notices the shard of glass in her leg and the red liquid around it.

Another driver in the car behind who also collided into the back of Nikki comes over to check on her, "Are you okay?" the man questions.
"Please... get her out!" Nikki panics.
"Is she hurt?" The man asks noticing she's clearly gotten out her car seat.
"I don't think so, can you take her please, I need to sort myself out... I'm a doctor, I don't want her to see it, my ankle is also trapped between the break" Nikki explains as she tries to move her leg.

Nikki soon lifts Poppy over her lap and out the broken window to the man, with the emergency services called Nikki sits patiently and attempts to free her ankle, with some gentle maneuvering. She grabs her handbag and phone before pushing the door open and crawling from the car and crawling away and sitting on the floor. Poppy runs over to Nikki and hugs her tightly, "It's going to be okay Mummy, the man said help is coming" Poppy speaks as she noticing Nikki crying.