Back to School

Tuesday morning rolls around and Nikki is getting Poppy ready for her first day back at school after the six week holidays. Nikki helps Poppy into her grey tights before pulling her skirt down properly. "Mummy, why do I have to wear this?" Poppy asks as she pulls the elastic red tie.
"Because it makes you look smart" Nikki responds.
"I didn't wear one in Miss Munro's class," Poppy responds.

Nikki looks at her five-year-old daughter and smiles cheerfully. "Because you're going into year one. The big school now" Nikki smiles as she turns Poppy round and sorts the collar out on her white shirt.
"I have Miss Bythesea, now..." Poppy responds.

Nikki nods with a smile before standing from her bed and grabbing a hairbrush and brushing her hair into two even pigtails. "You're going to have lots of fun darling" Nikki smiles and kisses her head before placing the hairbrush down and taking Poppy downstairs.

Nikki walks into the lounge and runs her hand over her bump and looks at Jack who is sat with Maddison putting her shoes on ready for day nursery. "Daddy!" Poppy cheers as she runs around the sofa to face him.

"Woah, don't you look all grown up in your uniform, wee girl" Jack smiles.
"I have to wear a tie" Poppy responds with a giggle.

Jack looks over his shoulder at Nikki. "Are you okay?" He asks noticing her stroking her bump.
"Yeah, as okay I can be for being forty one weeks pregnant" she responds finding herself needing to sit down on the chair.
"Mummy when will the baby be here?" Poppy asks curiously.
"Soon darling..." Nikki sighs.

Poppy nods before sitting down on the sofa beside Maddison. Jack watches Nikki and smiles reassuringly at her, "won't be long now Nik, she'll be here in good time" Jack replies noticing how fed up his wife has become.
"Everyone keeps saying that, the midwives told me on my due date... it feels like forever."

Jack smiles at her and then looks at his phone. "Right we better get you to school," Jack says as he stands up with Maddison. Poppy runs through to the hallway and grabs her new school shoes, she sits on the floor and puts them on before looking up to seeing Jack and Nikki walking through into the hallway.
"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" Nikki asks.
"No, you're going to get ready to go to hospital, take it easy, do Nikki things. Enjoy your time before we're graced with another member of the Hodgson clan," Jack smiles as he placing his hand on her waist and kisses her lightly on the lips. 

Poppy stands up after putting her shoes on and straightens her clothes out before looking up at her Mother noticing she hasn't got her shoes on, "Mummy are you not coming?"

Nikki looks at Poppy and shakes her head, "No sweetheart, Daddy is going to take you today, and Grandma is going to pick you up after school okay?" Nikki smiles as she gently runs her hand over Poppy's head. 
"Oh... I wanted you to come," Poppy speaks as her lip starts trembling. 
"No tears now Poppy, promise you are going to have an amazing day," She responds. 
"I'm scared..." Poppy speaks as she wipes her face as a tear slips down her cheek. 

After a few tears and comforting words for Nikki, Jack manages to get Poppy out into the car with the other two girls. Nikki steps out the house and walks to the car and goes to Maddison first and kisses her cheek before waddling around the car to Freya where she kisses her on the cheek too, before heading to the front of the car where Jack has just secured Poppy into her booster seat. "Have a good day darling, remember to be kind, be smart, be amazing... I love you" Nikki smiles and kisses Poppy on the cheek before shutting the car door and walking back to the house where she waves goodbye to Poppy, Maddison and Freya before heading back inside. 

She washes up before feeding Milly and Merlin, she heads upstairs and makes the beds before doing the once over of her hospital bag, although Jack and Nikki had not mentioned it much in front of the girls but today is the day Nikki gets induced into labour as she is overdue, and is booked in with the hospital for 10am. 
Nikki sits herself down on the sofa after bringing her hospital bag and birth notes down from the bedroom, She sits back on the sofa and signs before running her hand over her bump, "You're going to have to come out of there soon, You're making Mummy so uncomfortable," She sighs. 

Around half an hour later Jack returns from the school run to find Nikki fast asleep on the sofa, He smiles happily to himself before taking her hospital bag out to the car, in a way he couldn't get over that Nikki was being induced today and how quick her pregnancy has gone, it also surpised him that she needed inducing as the past three children has been naturally with her waters breaking at home with no need for medical intervention. 

He puts the bags in the car before heading through to Nikki and gently waking her up, "Come on sleepy head, lets go have a baby" He smiles as he strokes the hair from out her face, Nikki opens her eyes before sitting up and yawning.