Back to School

It's Poppy's first day back at school after the summer holidays, it's early morning and Nikki has dressed Poppy in her uniform, and just finished plaiting her hair into two equal plaits while Poppy sits eating her breakfast. "...Mummy, what's my new teacher's name?" Poppy questions curiously.

Nikki chuckles at her as she kisses Poppy's head and picks up her cup of tea, "Her name is Miss Wallace," Nikki smiles while sipping her tea.
"Mummy? who will be picking me up from school?" She questions as she picks up a piece of toast, and watches her Mum as she lifts Maddison from the highchair and wipes her hands down. 
"You're going to the afterschool club but Daddy will come for you after the club has finished" Nikki explains before putting Maddison down on the floor and letting her walk off to the lounge. Poppy sighs heavily and then picks up her cup of orange juice and drinks it before getting down from the table and following her younger sister through to the lounge leaving Nikki to clean up. 

Nikki finally makes herself some toast and spreads marmite on them before tucking into them, Jack comes into the kitchen from upstairs and takes a bite of the toast which is in her hand, "Thanks babe, just what I needed" He smirks before taking the piece out of her hand, Nikki turns open-mouthed and looks at him, "Close your mouth Nik, you'll catch flies."

"Jack!" She whines
"What?" He smiles
"I was eating that," Nikki huffs.
"Oh, sorry, here you go" He smiles passing her the piece of toast back.
"No Jack, you need to make me a new piece, your mouth has been around that" She huffs refusing to take the piece of toast from him.
"Hey, what's wrong with me taking a bite? you kiss me don't you?" He questions and she nods before huffing and walking off with the remainder of the toast. 

She walks into the lounge to see Poppy sat on the sofa with Milly the cat who is now a permanent fixture to the household.  "What are you doing Pops?" Nikki asks as she sits down in the armchair watching Poppy play with Milly. 
"She likes her paw being touched, look she holds my finger" Poppy grins as she shows her Mother how Milly holds her finger. Nikki smiles happily as she watches Milly walk over to Maddison and brush up against her almost like she is checking up on her. 
"Ca Ca Ca!" Maddison squeals as she claps her hands.
"Gently Maddie!" Nikki speaks watching the one-year-old stroke the cat. 

Later that morning Nikki is walking Poppy into school with Maddison holding her other hand, they walk into the new classroom and watches as Poppy goes to find her coat peg while Nikki goes to speak to Poppy's new teacher to sign her up for the afterschool club and pay for her school lunches. 

The room is busy due to the newcomers joining the class so Poppy sticks close to her Mum even though she knows a few of the children already from the nursery school last year, Nikki says her goodbyes to Poppy before reminding her Jack is coming to collect her after school. 
Poppy kisses her Mum on the cheek goodbye before walking off to join her friends from last year.

Soon the parents leave, leaving the new class teacher 'Miss Wallace' and the teaching assistant 'Miss Edwards'. Poppy sits beside her friend Lucy as the teacher begins to talk to them and she decides to get the children who have been here the longest to introduce themselves that included Poppy and her friend Lucy. 
Lucy is chosen first by Miss Wallace to talk to the new children, "My name is Lucy Marris, I am five tomorrow, I have a white cat called Poppy, I have an older brother called Kieran, We spent the summer with my Granny in Limerick in Ireland..." Lucy smiles before sitting down quickly. 

The teacher looks down the register for names, "Okay, next we shall have Poppy," She smiles. 
Poppy stands up and messes with the button on her cardigan, "My name is Poppy Hodgson, I am four, I live with my Mummy and Daddy, I have a little sister called Maddison and a new cat called Milly. My Mummy is having a baby soon and I'm going to be an extra big sister" Poppy grins before sitting down, Poppy looks around at the teaching assistant who shakes her head at Poppy.