Abandoning

Sometime later Nikki wakes to her phone ringing, she is still against Jack who is waking too. She reaches for her phone and answers it, "Hello?" Nikki speaks.

"Mrs Hodgson? This is Miss Price..." she begins.
"Yes?" She responds realizing it's a teacher from Poppy's school.
"Are you collecting Poppy from school today? Sorry, we read your notes and we know your line of work..." Miss Price responds.

"Oh my goodness sorry, I will be there right away!" Nikki panics as she ends the call and clambers off the bed. "Shit shit shit!" Nikki panics as she puts her shoes back on.

"What's happened?" Jack questions.
"We've overslept, it's half three, we're half an hour late!" Nikki panics as she grabs her phone and rushes off downstairs.

Jack heads down after her, "hey calm down, you heard the midwife, stop stressing yourself out, come on we'll both go together" Jack speaks as they collect a few things and Nikki grabs a bottle of flavoured water for Poppy.

They head off in the car and end up waiting in traffic. Soon they arrive at the school and both Jack and Nikki get out the car and head to the reception area where they see Poppy sat looking at the floor in the waiting room, "Oh Lord, she doesn't look happy," Nikki says as she glances at Jack for a moment.

Jack presses the buzzer and waits for the receptionist to let them in, "Hopefully we don't have to bribe her," Jack mumbles as she receptionist comes to the door and lets them in.

Jack and Nikki walk over to Poppy, and Nikki calls her name, "Hey... sweetie... I'm so sorry I'm late, Mummy was silly and fell asleep on the bed" Nikki responds as she crouches down in front of Poppy and holds her stomach slightly.

Nikki instantly notices Poppy has been crying, "What's the matter baby?" Nikki questions softly as she tucks a stray strand of hair behind her ear.

"I thought... you... you... you left me" Poppy cries.
"Oh darling, I would never do that, neither would Daddy," Nikki speaks.
"Come on let us go home and we can go collect Maddison and Freya" Jack smiles as he picks up Poppy's bags.

Once they have collected Maddison and Freya from the nursery they head home and Jack and Nikki decide to tell Poppy about Nikki being pregnant as they haven't got round to it yet. Nikki walks into the lounge with a cup of tea and sits herself down beside Jack who places his arm around her small frame. "Poppy darling, can you stop playing and look at me for a moment" Nikki smiles.

"I didn't do it! I promise!" Poppy panics as she turns to face her parents.
"No sweetie, you haven't done anything wrong" Jack smiles as he watches the five-year-old sit on her knees and looks up at them.

Nikki looks at Jack and he nods with a reassuring smile, "So, Poppy would you like another baby sister?" Nikki questions as she slips her hand into Jack's.
"No way hosay!... Why?" Poppy questions and Jack can't help but chuckle.
"Jack... stop it... Why? because I'm going to have another baby, and the doctor checked and it's going to be a girl" Nikki smiles waiting for Poppy's response.

"No!" She shouts and gets to her feet. "No, I don't want you to have another baby, no!" Poppy shouts as she begins to cry.

Nikki sits forwards and goes to pull Poppy into a hug but she dashes off and frantically climbs their stairs before running to her room and slamming her door, "Leave her, I'll go, the last thing we want is her accidentally kicking you in the stomach if she's upset" Jack smiles as he kisses Nikki on the head and heads upstairs to see Poppy.

He opens the door and looks at Poppy laying on her bed, her whole body being wrecked by her tears, "Poppy?" Jack speaks softly.
"Go away!" Poppy cries hysterically.

Jack sits down and waits for her to calm down, her gently rubs her back, "Hey kiddo, another little sister won't be that bad."

Poppy shakes her head and rolls onto her side, Jack brushes her hair out of her face and smiles at her, "It won't be... I already have two... and Freya can't hear me!" Poppy cries.

"Hey, you're lucky to have three sisters, I had a brother and that was it, and Mummy... well she was an only child she had no one unlike you. Freya can most definitely hear you, baby, she always laughs at you, don't you worry about it, wee baby. Being the oldest is always fun, trust me" Jack smiles as Poppy sits up and crawls over the bed to him and cuddles him close. "Hey, what was that for?" He questions.

"I love you Daddy" She smiles.
"I love you too Kiddo" Jack smiles cheerfully as he holds her close and kisses her head.