Denial in the beginning

Jack places the letter down on the countertop and looks up at her, "Okay..." He speaks as he swaps which hand is holding Freya against his chest. 
"Is that all you have got to say?" Nikki raises an eyebrow as she turns the kettle on and grabs a mug from the cupboard. "How are you so calm?" She quizzes curiously as she turns to face him again. 

"I don't know I think we can work through this" Jack responds. 
"Doesn't this worry you in the slightest?" Nikki asks as she gets the milk from the refrigerator and puts a little in her mug before taking it back to the refrigerator. 

Jack looks at his wife and sights before noticing Milly the cat walking into the kitchen to eat from her feed bowl, she meows at them before heading to her feed bowl. "Of course I am worried, she's our baby" Jack responds keeping his tone calm. 

"You have a funny way of showing how worried you are Jack, our baby girl is possibly deaf and you're acting like it's nothing" Nikki huffs as she pours the kettle, it's clear to Jack that the tears are threatening to slip down her face already. 

She slams the kettle down causing the water to splash out and at Nikki, "Oh shit!" Nikki huffs as she holds her hand close to herself. 
"Oh, Nik, darling..." Jack sighs as he walks away and puts Freya down in her Moses basket in the lounge, on rentering the kitchen he looks at Nikki who is trying to look through the first aid kit. "Hey slow down" He speaks calmly to her as he walks to her, he takes hold of her hand and examines it. 

He gently guides her over to the sink and runs the cold tap and places her hand under it, "You should be more careful" He mumbles against her ear as he stands behind her. With his spare hand, he slips it to her waist. 

He kisses her neck as he stands there and keeps her hand under the cold tap. "Thank you" She mumbles. 
Jack just sighs and inhales her perfume while he stands there, soon he turns the tap off and grabs a clean towel and dries her hand. "I love you... you know that right, I'm just as concerned about Freya as you are my darling, don't you ever think I would never be worried about our girls! Do you hear me? If Freya's official results indicate she is deaf, then we shall learn to cope with it... I promise you we will find a way" Jack smiles before capturing her lips. 

Nikki sighs as she looks up at him and kisses him again, there was something she loved about the feeling she got deep down inside of her when he kissed her like that, it wasn't passion nor guilt, it was just love. "Thank you..." She mutters.
"It's a nasty scold, pop some savlon on it and you'll be as right as rain my love" He smiles as he places another cold compress on and kisses her knuckles. 

She smiles and looks up at him cheerfully, "What would I do without my own Clark Kent?" Nikki smirks as she leans forwards and kisses him on the lips. 
"You're such a nerd, Mrs. Hodgson, you know that right?" He mumbles between kisses. 

Nikki smirks against his lips and then moves away from him as the front door clicks and then in rushes Poppy. "We'll discuss this later" Jack speaks as he moves away from Nikki and moves the hospital referral letter for Freya. 

"Mummy!" Poppy squeals as she turns into the kitchen startling the cat as she does so causing Milly to rush off back upstairs to her little of kittens. 
"Hey baby girl, did you have a good day with Granny?" Nikki beams as the four-year-old hugs her legs tightly. 

"Yes! Mummy, Maddie was naughty... she wanted to feed the ducks and then tried to jump in the pond, Granny caught her though" Poppy speaks in a dramatic tone. 
"Oh is that so?" Nikki questions as she glances up at Jack who then turns to see his Mum carrying the one-year-old in. 

"Dada!" Maddison squeals loudly. 
"Hey kiddo" Jack smiles as his Mum passes Maddison over to him. 

Nikki smiles as she watches Maddison hug Jack, "Were they good you for Josephine?" Nikki smirks as she knows Maddison has misbehaved. 
"Poppy gold, Maddison, on the other hand, not so well behaved, she tried to get in the pond with the ducks" She responds and Nikki rolls her eyes as she walks over to the kitchen table. "Anyway I'd like to have some cuddles with my youngest Grandchild" She smiles hinting that she wants to stay for a while. 

Nikki nods and chuckles and turns on the kettle before walking through to the lounge where Freya is still lay in her Moses basket whimpering to herself still.