Down the Stairs

Later that day Nikki has just returned from the court hearing in which she supplied evidence and her findings on a suspicious case involving an elderly woman who fell down the stairs and died. Although upon further investigation on the police's behalf and also on Nikki's they realized that the daughter in law had pushed the elderly woman down the stairs and left her for dead.

Nikki walks into the Lyell and straight to her desk, she smiles at Clarissa who is sat at her own desk. Nikki looks around the offices to see Jack in the lab area running tests. "So how did it go?" Clarissa asks.

"The truth came out and my findings were correct as ever, the poor woman was pushed down the stairs by her daughter in law," Nikki speaks up as she looks at Clarissa.
"The things people do to a family, wonder if the woman upset the daughter in law" Clarissa speaks.

"I dream of giving Josephine a good shove down the stairs sometimes, especially having to live with her" Nikki responds.
"How is that going?" Clarissa chuckles as she removes her glasses and sits listening to Nikki.
"I'm sick of it, two weeks in, seven weeks time can't come quick enough... she's constantly at me about my parenting, but I mean look what a crap job she did with Jack, she palmed him off on one of the aunts" Nikki responds, Clarissa's eyes flick to Nikki's stomach and watch as she gently caressing her lower stomach.

"Sounds like a chaotic house... does she know about..." She speaks as she gestures to Nikki's stomach.
"No, not yet, I dread telling her. I want to keep this one a secret for as long as possible, I enjoy just myself and Jack knowing... oh and you" Nikki smiles happily.

Clarissa smirks as she watches Jack walk into the offices from the lap, with his protective goggles still on his head. He walks over to Nikki and wraps his arms around her small body and attempts to flirt with her, "Hey... so do you come here often" He mumbles against her neck as he places a delicate kiss on her neck.

Nikki rolls her eyes at him, "We're at the Lyell Jack" Nikki smirks as she leans back into his loving embrace. Jack moves his hand to her stomach and gently runs his thumb over it, Clarissa smiles at the pair of them.
"I know we are," He mumbles against her neck and smiles at her.

"Hands off, you can have me later" Nikki mumbles with a smirk as she feels Jack hold her close and continue to caress her stomach.
"With pleasure" He smirks against her neck before pulling away and walks back to his desk.

Nikki sits down at her desk and strokes her stomach lightly as she waits for her computer to turn on, as she checks her emails her phone buzzes from inside her handbag, she pulls her phone out her bag and looks at the caller ID, before answering it:

"Hello Dr. Alexander speaking" She speaks.
"Hello, is Mrs. Hodgson there, it's Miss Pickwell calling from Primrose Hill Primary School" a voice speaks.
"Yes that is me, is everything okay?" Nikki questions wondering if Poppy is ill.
"Well yes but Poppy seems a little upset and we wondered if you were attending the mothers day come dine with me?" Miss Pickwell questions.

Nikki looks down at the desk and sighs, "Sorry I thought I had told Poppy that I couldn't come today" Nikki speaks.
"Is there a reason you can't attend?" Miss Pickwell questions.
"Yes, I am a Home Office Pathologist and I had to go to a court hearing and I'm up to my armpits with post-mortems..." Nikki responds.

"Is there a grandparent who could come in your place, Poppy is very upset" She responds.
"No sorry, I will make it up to you, I have to go now sorry," Nikki replies as she ends the call and places her phone back in her handbag before getting back down to work.