Just Cuts and Bruises

Jack rushes through the hospital with his Dad following him behind, "Calm down son, you heard the nurse, they are fine just cuts and bruising" Conor speaks trying to keep up with his son.
"I know I need to see it for myself," Jack speaks as he rushes to the cubical where Poppy is in pediatric A&E.

"Daddy!! Grandpa!!! Poppy beams as she gets to her knees on the bed, Jack then rushes to her side and cuddles her close.
"Oh my god you're okay, look at you" He breathes a sigh of relief.

Jack looks at his Dad who is smiling, "Daddy Mummy hurt her leg, it was bleeding, she was crying, I told her it would be okay, by the men in green clothes took her a different way to me" Poppy speaks.
"Your Ma is going to be just fine Poppy" Conor replies as he sits down in the chair beside the bed.

"Daddy, the nurse cut my tights off please don't tell Mummy, she will be sad... I did a wee, wee in my pants too Daddy, I'm sorry" Poppy says with a sigh as she looks down at her hands.
"It's okay baby, these things happen, Mummy won't be sad she will be happy you're okay" Jack smiles as he notices Poppy's wet underwear and cut up tights in a bag on the floor.

Jack cuddles Poppy for a little while longer before deciding to go and see Nikki as a nurse has told him she's had the all-clear and will be discharged with just cuts and bruises the same as Poppy.

Nikki sits on the edge of the hospital bed after the nurse has stitched up the cuts she sustained from the car accident. She rests her head in her hands as she cries, the tears stinging each cut at the tears slip down her face.

Jack walks back into the cubical after seeing to Poppy who has been checked over by a doctor and given the all-clear and discharged with minor cuts and bruises mainly from the seat belt. "Hey what's wrong?" Jack questions instantly noticing his wife crying. He sits beside her on the edge of the hospital bed and places his arm around her petite body.

She doesn't speak but continues to cry, her whole body shaking as Jack pulls her into his side. "Nik, it's okay, we can get a new car, it's bound to be a shock to you, but the best thing is you and Poppy are both safe, you both got off with cuts and bruises."

"It's not that," she cries.
"What is it then?" Jack questions curiously.
She takes a breath and looks up at him.
Her eyes red and puffy, the tears still streaming down her face. "We can do this again," she mumbles.
"What do you mean again?" Jack asks as he wraps his arms around her tiny body and strokes her shoulder gently.

"I'm pregnant" she cries.
Jack freezes, they already have three children, and a fourth one on the cards was pushing it for them. "Jack... say something!" She mumbles.

Jack realizes he's been silent for too long and clears his throat. "Woah... I... I thought... we were careful?" He blurts out. He moves away from her slightly running his hand through his hair, "but you're on the pill, we used condoms..." Jack speaks.

"You know it sometimes fails... I'm sorry..." she stutters.
"No don't be sorry... it's just a shock..." He speaks as he continues to stare at the cubicle curtain.

She breathes unevenly and looks at him, "I don't think we can do this again... Freya is just Three months old."
Jack places his hand on her knee and smiles at her, "I think we could manage it, but it's your body Nik, I support your wishes no matter what it is?" He smiles as he strokes her knee.

"My head is so messed up, I crashed a car and now I'm pregnant, what am I meant to do Jack?" She speaks.
Jack then takes hold of her hand and gently strokes his thumb over her knuckles, "How far along?" He asks.

"The doctors said around four weeks, they want to do a scan before I leave, but I'm so early it will be a transvaginal ultrasound, which means..." She begins.
"No... spare me the details, I was with you when they did that one for Maddie" Jack responds with a chuckle.

"You're not angry... do you want me to have this baby? I mean we may end up with four girls again," She smiles slightly noticing Jack seems upbeat about the possibility of a fourth child.

"No Nikki, I could never be angry with you for getting pregnant, I mean it's both our faults, what were we expecting from unprotected sex?... a widescreen HD TV?" He chuckles and continues to stroke her knuckles in the way he has always done. "It's your body Nikki, I will support you on whatever decision you go with, we just won't de my Da about it if we come to doing an abortion" Jack adds.

"Jack, no. I am not aborting I don't have the heart too" She explains. Jack smiles as her and shuffles closer to her on the hospital bed carefully watching her leg as her thigh is bandaged up. He places his arm around her and kisses her passionately.