How Far?

Today is the day Nikki and Jack have finally managed to book themselves in for a scan to check up on the baby as Nikki is now fourteen weeks pregnant. As normal they have dropped all three children off at School or Nursery. They are now sat in the waiting room of the maternity unit, Nikki's hand falls into Jack's while they are sat waiting, "You think I would be used of this by now?" Nikki questions. 

Jack chuckles and strokes his thumb across her hand and gently messes with her wedding ring while he strokes her hand. "Honestly I'm terrified too..." He speaks as he turns to look at her. 

"Baby number four... how the hell did that happen" Nikki mumbles as she stares blankly at the wall on the opposite side of the room. 
"Only feels like five minutes since we had Poppy" Jack speaks with a smile trying to make it easier. 
"She's five next month" Nikki speaks. 

They both sigh at the thought of Poppy getting older and no longer the tiny baby she was, "What have you planned for her birthday then?" Jack decides to question to pass the time. 
"I'm thinking a Hawaiian themed party, she still loves Moana, I think it would be a lovely surprise for her" Nikki smiles happily, her hand still clasped in Jack's.

"That girl and Moana, did I tell you Poppy started crying this morning because Ma, wouldn't let her watch Moana as Good Morning Britain was on" Jack speaks and Nikki shoots a look at Jack as she hasn't been keen on Josephine and how she is with the girls and herself recently. "Don't worry about it, She watched it on her iPad instead, after a lot of tears... before you ask, I didn't get you because I knew you were dressing Maddie and Freya" Jack speaks softly. 

Nikki just nods and takes her hand from Jack's grasp and rests it in her own lap. Soon Jack and Nikki are called through to the consultation room, Nikki gets herself up onto the bed ready for the scan and Jack takes a seat beside her as the midwife runs them through the procedure. "Yes... we know" Nikki smiles at the young midwife.
"Oh have you done this before?" She questions. 
"Yes... this is our forth" Nikki smiles slightly. 

The midwife looks at the shocked causing Jack and Nikki to chuckle at her, "Four-year-old, a one-year-old and a four-month-old... and all girls" Jack smiles as he strokes Nikki's hand. 

"Gosh, you must have your hands full with them all, what do you both do for a living?" The midwife questions as she makes casual conversation with them as she runs the required tests. 

Nikki looks at Jack with a smile before turning back to the midwife, "I'm a forensic Pathologist and Jack is a Forensic Scientist" Nikki smiles. 
"Woah, Science must run in your kid's veins," the midwife smiles. 

Nikki chuckles to herself, "Let's hope so." 
"...here we are one very healthy and happy baby... how far along do you reckon you are?" The midwife questions as she turns the screen to Jack and Nikki who admire the screen for a while before either of them respond. 

"Oh, I'm around fourteen weeks, why?" Nikki questions as Jack feels Nikki's grip get tighter on his hand again.
"You see the baby is a little bigger than I would expect for fourteen weeks, let me just go and get a second opinion..." The midwife speaks as she excuses herself from the room and goes to find someone more qualified than her for a second opinion.  

Nikki watches the scan screen for a while, "Well, you never know Nik, he may just have a big head... all that knowledge already" Jack smirks and Nikki loses his hand and hits him playfully. 
"You're an idiot" She chuckles as she turns to look at him and kisses him lightly on the lips. 

The midwife then walks in with another midwife, "Hi, I'm Georgia... I understand you think you are fourteen weeks pregnant?" She smiles and Nikki nods in response as Georgia picks up the doppler and then presses it down on Nikki's stomach, the two midwives mumble to each other for a bit before looking back up at the screen. 

"Okay... Mrs. Hodgson, we have estimated that you are further along, we estimate that you are more likely seventeen weeks pregnant" She explains and watches as Jack and Nikki look at each other in shock. "So you are in fact due, around the seventh of September" She explains. 

"That's a shock, I drank before I knew I was pregnant in early January... will the baby be okay?" Nikki questions.
"Baby should be absolutely fine, growing at the right rate and fighting fit... also if you like we can find out the gender for you too" She smiles. 

Jack and Nikki share a look before both shaking their heads, "No thank you, we would like a surprise." Nikki smiles. 
"I'm prepared for another girl anyway, after Nikki giving me three girls I have lost all hope in having a boy" Jack smirks as he strokes Nikki's hand. "But as long as he or she happy and healthy that's all that matters to me" Jack adds and then kisses Nikki's hand.