A Suggestion

Nikki walks into the house after a very long day at work, it's now half nine and she was meant to get home at six although there was a shout from a crime scene where a husband and wife had both been murdered leaving behind their thirteen-year-old daughter, the crime scene was tough for everyone and made Nikki think.
She walks into a silent house and just the faint sound of the Television on in the lounge. She shuts the front door and puts her handbag down and removes her heels and jacket. She gives a sigh as she walks into the lounge and looks at Jack who is lounging on the sofa with his legs up, a bottle of beer in hand watching the football highlights.

He notices something in the corner of his eye and turns to see Nikki stood in the doorway, "you're late" Jack speaks.
"Mmm, Sorry... I got called out to a crime scene as I was about to clock off" Nikki smiles tiredly as she walks around the sofa and sits down on the armchair.
"Are you hungry?" Jack asks as he sits up and looks at Nikki.

She smiles happily at him, "Erm... I guess so" Nikki responds.
"I'll go heat it up, I put you some aside in the oven" Jack smiles as he puts his bottle of beer down on the coffee table and gets up before walking through into the kitchen.

Once Jack has warmed up her dinner he brings it through for her on a tray with a glass of water, "Here we are M'lady" He smirks as he places it down on her play.
"What did I do to deserve you" Nikki smiles.

Jack kisses her head and leaves her to eat, he sits down on the sofa again and grabs his beer and takes a sip, "How were the girls tonight?" Nikki smiles as she begins to eat.
"They were golden, fed, bathed and in bed all before half-seven" Jack explains.

"I missed giving them their bedtime story" Nikki sighs as she eats what she can before leaving a few scraps and putting her knife and fork down.
"How was your day?" Jack questions as he moves the subject on.
"Tough, double murder, parents who left a thirteen-year-old child, It was awful. The house was a complete blood bath... Luckily they caught up with the murderer just as I had finished at the scene, I mean who walks the streets of London covered in blood" Nikki explains.

Jack looks at her sympathetically he knew it always had an effect on her when children were involved even when they were lying in her mortuary slab or even just involved in the investigation.

Nikki takes her tray into the kitchen and comes back through once she's started the dishwasher, "How I would just love a large glass of wine right now" Nikki smiles.
"You know that's off the cards, you've gotta look after my son" Jack replies with a cheery smile.

Nikki smiles as she walks over to him and sits on his lap, "I love you Mr. Hodgson" Nikki mumbles as she wraps her arms around his neck and steals a kiss from him.
"I love you too Dr. Alexander" Jack smirks as he kisses her back before holding her close in a loving embrace.

They fall into a comfortable silence and Jack sits back with Nikki still on his lap, he sits there gently stroking her knuckles as she snuggles up to him. "...Let's get married" Nikki mumbles as she rests against his chest.

Jack laughs at her awkwardly, "Ha Ha, very funny."
"No, Jack I meant it!" She says as she looking at him seriously.
Oh... okay... when?" He questions.
Nikki looks up at him as she sits up again on his lap, "Next week!" She grins.

"What! are you insane? Do you even know how long it takes to plan a wedding!" Jack chuckles as he looks at her as if she's gone absolutely insane.
"I know, I don't care, we don't need the big white wedding, I just want to be married to you as soon as possible" Nikki smiles as she steals a kiss from him.
"Okay, time, place and I'll be there" He smiles.

Nikki smiles and strokes his arm, "How about next Saturday, I've always liked the sound of Gretna Green in Scotland" Nikki smiles.
"Sounds like a plan... I'm so happy that you've finally come round to the idea of being my wife... I can't wait to call you Mrs. Hodgson" Jack smiles as he pulls her into a passionate kiss.