Blueberries for Breakfast

Today is once again another of Freya's appointments for her undergoing assessments for her hearing, although today is the day she gets her hearing aids fitted. Nikki has been awake since four with Maddison who has been wide awake, although Nikki is glad she woke her as she couldn't sleep easily either. 

Nikki makes the girls their breakfast and also makes herself and Jack something to eat which is different from Poppy and Maddison. "Mama, Toast... please" Maddison grins as she walks over to Nikki in the kitchen. 

"No Maddie, it's porridge and blueberries this morning," Nikki smiles down at the nineteen-month-old. 
"No!" She shouts and stamps her feet at her mother.
"It's that or your go hungry baby girl" Nikki speaks as she takes Poppy and Maddison's bowls over to the kitchen table, Nikki picks Maddison up and puts her into the highchair and secures her in with a buckle as Maddison's latest trick is to climb out of the highchair. 

Nikki places the bowl in front of Maddison and watches her for a moment, she then walks into the lounge where Poppy is sat playing on her iPad still in her pyjamas. "Poppy put your iPad down and come and have breakfast" Nikki speaks. 

Poppy sighs and places the iPad down on the coffee table and skips toward the kitchen. She clambers up onto the breakfast bar stool, and Nikki places the porridge and a small cup of orange juice in front of her. 

Jack soon comes downstairs after having a shower and a shave, He walks into the lounge to see Nikki still in her pyjamas, "Aren't you ready yet?" He questions. 
She looks up at him as she passes Maddison her bottle of milk, "No Jack, I'm not... I have three girls to get dressed. You've been such help these past two weeks since the new year," Nikki responds. 

"Woah... are you on your period?" He questions. 
Nikki slams her mug of coffee down on the countertop, "Why do you assume every time I'm angry with you that I'm on my period!" Nikki shouts at him. 

Jack looks at Nikki and just nods at her awkwardly before walking past her and boiling the kettle, "Yeah, thought so... Now I have to go and get Freya ready" Nikki speaks as she collects the two-month-old from the sensory mat she is laying down on in the corner of the dining room area of the kitchen. 

"I will do it" Jack speaks as he takes the milk from the refrigerator. 
"Like hell, you will... I want my daughter looking presentable not like we picked her clothes out the washing basket last minute!" Nikki huffs as she carries Freya off upstairs. 

Jack takes a sigh of relief once Nikki has left, "Women..." He mumbles as he sorts his cup of coffee out and cleans up the spillage Nikki has caused when slamming her drink down. 

"Daddy?" A voice speaks from behind him.
Jack turns around to see Poppy stood just beside the breakfast bar with her cup of orange juice, "Yes Sweetheart?" He says clearing his throat. 
"What's a period?" the four-year-old questions. 

Jack swallows hard and tries to think of an answer quickly for his overly inquisitive daughter. "Erm... well... it's... erm... nothing for you to worry about sweetie it's a grown-up thing?" 

Poppy raises an eyebrow and gives him the same look at Nikki does when she wants to know more, "But why?" She asks.
"It's for grown-ups, we will teach you about it when you're a big girl" Jack speaks. 
"But I am a big girl, I'm this big!" She exclaims and put her hand on top of her head to show him. 
"I can see that but you need to be older, we will tell you later when you are twelve!" He smiles. 
"But I'm almost twelve" She grins. 

Jack rolls his eyes and shakes his head with a smile, "Oh Pops, Never grow up!" He smiles.