Motherly Instinct

Today Nikki and Jack were called early to work by Thomas who has asked them both to attend a crime scene which is a twenty-five-minute drive from their home, on arrival at the crime scene they get the low down on the crime scene from DS McKinley who informs them that they have the ex-husband on the woman who had been brutally murdered.

Nikki and Jack get down to business in the house of the crime scene, Jack takes evidence and prints from the kitchen where the attack took place while Nikki tends to the body of the woman who was found in the laundry room of the house.

After Nikki has finished taking photos and notes on the body she arranges the socos and private ambulance to come and collect the body from the house and transport it to the Lyell. Nikki heads back out to the car and starts to sort out some paperwork and write down important details.

Meanwhile, Jack is stood inside the house talking to a Police Officer who has been guarding the front door. "Poor wee Mite" Jack sighs as he looks at the young girl at in the corner of the lounge with her hands over her ears.
"First Officer on the scene said the young girl found her mother like that, poor kid" The officer sighs.

DS McKinley who has been trying to get the young girl to cooperate stands up from beside the little girl and walks over to them "...we need to get the clothes off the child, she won't move. Poor child has just lost her mother."

Jack thinks to himself for a while before looking out the window and glancing at Nikki who is stood leaning against the car stroking her bump and sipping a bottle of water. "My wife... I mean Dr Alexander, has children, she could try and talk her round and get her out of those clothes, because I'll need them for forensics they're covered in blood."

DS McKinley looks up at Jack and smiles before speaking "Would she? Where is Dr Alexander right now?"

The police officer looks out the window and notices her stood beside the car, "she's outside by her car, Ma'am, shall I go get her?" He asks.
"I'll go," Jack responds and DS McKinley nods and allows Jack to head outside and get Nikki.

He jogs over to her from the house and smiles at her, "Nik, we need you again, out of soco, the young girl won't talk to anyone, DS McKinley wondered if you could maybe talk her round to going with the police and get her out of those clothes."

Nikki nods and takes another sip of her water before putting the cap on and chucking the bottle on the back seat, "I'll try, give me two minutes."

She finishes logging some more information on a clipboard before throwing it in the boot of her car, She then grabs some latex gloves and passes them to Jack before taking her soco suit off.

Jack and Nikki then return to the house and walk into the lounge where the young girl is sat in the corner with her hands still covering her ears. Nikki looks down at the young girl and smiles sympathetically, Nikki crouches down in front of the young girl and gently runs her hand over her bump, placing her free arm on the sofa to keep her balance.

"Hey sweetheart, my name is Nikki, what's your name?" She says ever so softly.

The young girl looks up at Nikki, her eyes red and tearful, "I want my Mummy," She cries.
Nikki sighs at the young girl "oh darling, I know... I'm going to help you. Do you think you can show me your bedroom?"

The young girl rubs her eyes and keeps her eyes fixed on Nikki, Nikki reaches out and takes hold of her hand, she gently runs her thumb over the small hand just like she would do for any of her children who were upset.

Jack and the Police officer look at each other and smile, "she's good," He mutters.
Jack nods in agreement, "she's great with our daughters too."

The young girl looks up at Nikki and nods, she slowly gets up and straightens her pyjamas out, "I'm messy," The little girl responds to Nikki with a sigh.

She nods with a knowing smile, "I know darling, let's get you sorted." Nikki smiles as she slowly gets herself up and strokes her bump before holding her hand out to the girl.

The young girl looks up at Nikki with a curious look on her face "are you, my new mummy?" She quizzes. Nikki chuckles with a smirk noticing the curious side in the young girl opening up, "No, but you can start by telling me your name."
"Amber..." She grins.
"That's a lovely name," Nikki smiles warmly.

Amber guides Nikki upstairs and shows her to her room, Jack and the police officer also follow her upstairs. "This is my room... Nikki, Do you like it?"
"it's lovely, my little girl loves butterflies and flowers too, she has them on her wall just like you," Nikki smiles.

"Is she older than me?" Amber asks.
"How old are you?" Nikki responds happily as she searches through her wardrobe and finds some suitable clothing.
"I'm Five and a half" Amber giggles
"My little girl is Five too," Nikki responds and pulls some suitable clothing out and takes it over to Amber and sets them on the bed before finding a small travel bag which she will need for her stay with a temporary Forster carer.

"My birthday is the 5th December, What about your little girls?" She smiles as she swings her legs back and forth on the bed while she watches Nikki.
"She's born the 17th April, you're a little bit older than her," Nikki smiles softly as she begins to undress Amber and help her into some clean clothing.

Nikki folds the bloody clothing and passes them to Jack who places them in evidence bags. She pulls a t-shirt with Elsa on overhead and pulls her long brown hair out from the top. "Does she have a Daddy? I don't see my daddy..." Amber quizzes.

Nikki looks up at Jack and the Police officer before raising an eyebrow she then looks back at Amber, "Yes she does, that's her Daddy there" Nikki smiles and points at Jack, causing Jack to smile at Amber.

"is he a nasty Daddy? Mummy said mine is bad."
Nikki glances at Jack a little unsure. "No sweetheart, he's good to my three little girls."

Amber's eyes widen and she giggles, "three... I wish I had a sister."
Amber falls back into the silence as the three adults discuss the current matter, once the adults fall silent Amber speaks up, "can I see your little girls?"
"No darling, they're at home."

Jack thinks of on the spot before pulling his phone out, Nikki zips up the small overnight bag and lifts it off the bed. Jack steps across the room and shows Amber the picture on his phone "here they are" He smiles.

Amber's face lights up as she looks at the phone. Nikki glances at Jack and smiles happily. "Right then madam, shall we take you out to the car and you can see the nice lady who is going to look after you," Nikki smiles and Amber nods cheerfully.

"Is my Mummy going to be okay? she was still earlier, playing sleeping lions" Amber speaks softly as the adults take her downstairs.

Nikki doesn't respond but gives the young girl a little smile before taking her out to the car, she says goodbye to Nikki and Jack before easily going into the car and talking to a social worker. Jack walks to the car and places the evidence in the back of the car.

He turns and looks at Nikki before taking his soco suit off and putting it in the rubbish bag. Jack then turns to Nikki once again, he wraps his arms around her and pulls her into a hug, "And that is the reason you're a brilliant Mum, you're just great with the wee kids," Jack smiles and plants a kiss on her head.
"This is why I love you Mr," She mumbles and holds him close before pulling away.