End of the Day

Later on that day Nikki has just finished another post-mortem and is now getting ready to go home, she heads into Thomas's office first to speak with him regarding the post-mortem and also that she will be running late tomorrow morning as she's got to take Maddison to the doctors for vaccinations. Thomas takes note of it before they continue to talk about the post mortem. "When will DS Holder be leaving? he's been here all day?" Thomas questions noticing how close Jack and the police officer seemed.

"No clue, I found out he went to University with Jack, they must have been close" Nikki responds as she runs her hand over her bump. Thomas smiles to himself noticing Nikki stroking her bump while looking out the window in the direction of Jack.

She is brought back into the room by Thomas clearing his throat, "So the post-mortem?" He begins.
"Oh yeah, Mr. Burrows did definitely die from long term lung disease, my findings found that Lung diseases were caused by smoking include COPD, he had a diagnosis of emphysema and chronic bronchitis, in the past anyway. I shall inform the family tomorrow and we should be able to release the body to the family once I've finished all paperwork" Nikki explains.

Nikki soon finishes with Thomas and heads out his office and back into the office, "Nik?" Jack speaks up as he glances from his computer. She turns and looks at him, "I'm going for a few drinks with Lance tonight if that's okay" He speaks.

"Erm... you do know it's Poppy's parents evening tonight? and we need to bath the girls..." Nikki speaks.
"But, can't we bath them tomorrow?" He asks.
"Are you telling me you're trying to get out of this?" Nikki questions.

Jack stutters before Nikki butts back in again not allowing him time to respond, "Don't want to hear it, Jack, whatever silly little response you have up your sleeve, I'll do the parents evening and bath the girls, you go enjoy your night out!" Nikki huffs as she gathers her things including paperwork she needs to take home.

"Nikki, darling... don't speak like that, I don't have to go out!" He speaks attempting to compromise with his overly hormonal wife.
"Go out, it's fine by me!" Nikki says as she grabs her stuff and walks out of the office and slams the door behind her.

She presses the button for the lift and stands waiting for the lift to arrive, the lift doors open and she steps inside and presses the button for the ground floor before noticing Jack walking out the offices towards the lift, luckily for Nikki the lift doors shut just in time and she breathes a sigh of relief.

The lift gets to the ground floor and to her surprise she is met by Jack who has clearly used to stairs. She pushes past him as if she has never met him and walks out of the Lyell and to the car park. "Nikki! Wait up!" Jack calls as he follows her out.

Jack grabs hold of her shoulder, Nikki spins on the spot and looks up at him, "What? I've got to go collect Maddie" Nikki huffs.
"Look all I said is if I could go out tonight, it was a suggestion and anyway since when have you been my mother telling me what I can and can't do? the girls don't need a bath tonight they could have one tomorrow" Jack breathes.

Nikki looks up at him and shakes her head, "I'm not your mother but I certainly am Poppy and Maddison's mother, they need a bath they always have a bath on Wednesday evening it's the only proper night I get extra time with them!" Nikki spits.

Jack steps back a little noticing how angry Nikki is, "Okay, whatever you say... what time is parents evening?" He asks as Nikki turns around again and gets her car keys out.
"Just go out tonight, I can handle them" Nikki huffs as she climbs into the car and puts her bags on the passenger seat.

Jack holds the door open and looks at her, "I love you Nik, I don't want us to fall out over this, you want me to go out so one drink and I will be back around eight" Jack smiles, Nikki simply nods and puts her keys into the ignition.

"You owe me big time Hodgson" Nikki speaks as she puts her seatbelt on and adjusts it so it's comfortable on her forming bump.
"When do I not ever owe you anything Mrs. Hodgson" Jack smiles as he leans into the car and kisses her before pulling away and shutting her door before allowing her to pull away.