Coffee Shop

Later on that day Nikki has finished at work and is on her way to collect Maddison from nursery after she collected Poppy from the summer club.

Nikki and Poppy head into Maddison's nursery. She enters the pin before allowing herself in. She then walks to Maddison's room and smiles as she meets Maddison's key-worker -Paige. Paige collects all of Maddison's things for Nikki while she stands with Poppy and watches Maddison play independently. "Maddie darling?" Nikki speaks softly.

Nikki chuckles when she watches Maddison gasp, stamp her feet and clap her hands before attempting to walk quickly over to Nikki. 
"Mama! Mama!" She grins as she holds her arms out to Nikki. "Up!" She smiles and claps her hands before Nikki scoops her up and smiles.

"How has she been?" Nikki asks."She's has a really good day, she's had a nap around 2 pm, she also ate all her dinner and asked for more. She seems to have a spot of nappy rash coming too although you didn't supply any nappy creams..." Paige continues for a while longer filling Nikki in on Maddison's day.

twenty minutes later Nikki arrives in town and gets the girls out the way. "Poppy stay by the car please," Nikki speaks as she hauls the pram out the boot and then shuts the boot before getting Maddison out the car and securing her in the pram.

"Mummy? Where are we going?" Poppy questions."We're going to meet my Aunt," Nikki explains for what feels like the hundredth time this hour. Nikki locks her car before putting her handbag over the handles of the pram. "Poppy, hold the pram please" Nikki speaks as they begin their walk down to the coffee shop.

Nikki walks into the coffee shop and thank's the man who held the door open for her. She realizes Anita hasn't arrived yet so sits down with the girls and orders herself a cup of coffee and orange juice and muffin for Poppy.

She gets Maddison out of her pram and lets her stand between her legs while Nikki is sat down. Soon Anita arrives in the coffee shop and Nikki waves at her, she walks over to the table and smiles as she sees Poppy and Maddison who look even more like Nikki now they're beside Nikki.

Anita sits herself down and smiles, Poppy looks up and smiles happily before looking back down at her colouring book which Nikki had brought along.

"Glad you made it, I've already ordered myself and the girls, something to drink, would you like anything?" Nikki smiles.
"A cup of tea please" she smiles as she removes her coat and watches Nikki.
"Poppy, stay here, I'm just going to get Anita a drink" Nikki smiles as she lifts up Maddison and carries her to the counter and adds a cup of tea onto the list.

Anita sits forward and looks at Poppy, "that's a beautiful drawing" she smiles. Poppy looks up at Anita, "My mummy said I shouldn't talk to strangers" Poppy speaks innocently.

"It's okay, I'm your Mummy's aunt," Anita smiles although she notices how unsure Poppy seems of her.
Nikki soon comes back and sits Maddison down on her lap. "Mummy!" Poppy speaks as she almost dives on Nikki as she sits down.

"What's wrong?" Nikki questions.
"That lady is trying to talk to me" Poppy mumbles as she hides her face.

Nikki chuckles and strokes Poppy's head. "Don't be silly, this is the lady I told you about. Sorry about her Anita, Jack and I have recently had the stranger danger talk with her" Nikki explains and Anita just nods knowingly.

Nikki gets herself into a flowing conversation with Anita while Poppy sits drawing and eating her muffin and Maddison sits on Nikki's lap biting her teething ring. Suddenly the conversation that Nikki dreads comes up. "...how long have you and Jack been married?" Anita questions.
"Not long at all," She speaks as she takes hold of her mug and takes a sip.
"I hoped you were married before the children" she speaks.

Nikki swallows the warm liquid and places her mug down again. She takes a breath, "okay the truth, Jack and I... well how do I put this, we got pregnant with Poppy long before we got married... it was a mistake but I didn't have the heart to terminate" Nikki explains as she feels the need to hold her small bump.

An awkward silence fills the air luckily Poppy speaks up to show her Mum the drawing. "Mummy look I made a beautiful butterfly" Poppy grins.
Nikki smiles and strokes her head, "it's beautiful, darling" Nikki mumbles as she kisses her on the head. Nikki keeps her chin rested on Poppy's head, she can see Anita's eyes burrowing into the side of her head.

"... your Mum would have been so proud, she wouldn't have cared if you were married or not" Anita speaks and Nikki relaxes slightly.
"Does it matter now? She's been dead and buried for twenty-one years" Nikki sighs.
"Of course, it matters, she was and still if your Mum, anyway she's still with us in spirit" Anita speaks and Nikki rolls her eyes.