Talented

My little sister Fiona is 16 now. I care a lot about her, and I think I owe her my life. When she finally entered the world, I was thrilled to have a sibling.

Of course, as a 8 year old, I envied of all the glorious attention she received from our parents. Sometimes I pretend I don't see her, and sometimes I'm just downright rude. However, that petty behavior of mine changed on the day I realized my sister had a special talent.

We were sitting on the couch, watching the news, when Fiona abruptly spoke, "Daddy isn't coming home."

At first, I wasn't sure I caught her words correctly. "What do you mean?" I asked.

"Daddy isn't coming home." Fiona repeated.

I was disturbed by such an atrocious sentence that came out of a 5 year old's mouth. Even though I attempted to question her further, she wouldn't speak no more.

About an hour later, the phone rang. When I answered, there was an officer on the other end. With a monotone and hint of sadness behind her voice, she explained there had been a traffic accident. My mother was in the hospital with minor injuries, but my father was in critical condition; he died by loss of blood.

The next few hours was a blur of emotions. I switched off the news and sat there in shock. I wanted to cry, but my whole body felt numb. Somehow, young Fiona seemed to understand that he wasn't coming back. It soon dawn to me that my sister had a unique talent.

A year later, there was another incident. It was a nice clear day during Summer Break, and we were in the park. Fiona was playing in the sandbox when she suddenly froze and pointed at something.

"There's a bad man over there. We need to go now." she said.

I looked at the direction she was pointing at, and there I saw a man dressed in a grey hoodie. He appeared to be waiting for someone, but he did look odd.

As the memory of our father's death flashed in my mind, I didn't question Fiona. I just grabbed her hand and together we hurried home.

The next morning, my mother was reading the newspaper, and I noticed the headline on the front page. "Mother and Son Stabbed to Death in Park". Beneath it, there was a picture of a police leading away a handcuffed man. A sinking feeling boomed in my stomach. He was the same person my sister pointed at.

Plenty of years passed by, I gradually forgot about her talent. I eventually dismissed it all as simply coincidences.

However, last few days ago, my girlfriend and I were spending time together when I got a text message from Fiona.

Fiona: I need you to listen to me. I have a terrible feeling that something bad will happen. You and Patricia need to get out of there.

Me: Why What's happening?

Fiona: Idek. Go to a hotel or something. Just get out.

Me: Ugh fine.... see ya I guess.

I quickly rushed out with my girlfriend and stayed at a temporary hotel.

The following day, I got a call from our neighbor. He said our apartment was broken into, and the police arrested the intruder. Soon we found out it was my girlfriend's persistent, emotionally unavailable, mentally not-stable and overall thot ex. He was armed with a gun and planning to kill us.

When I explained to Patricia about Fiona, she was puzzled. All she replied was "How?".

For as long as I live, I will never forget that my little sister has a talent.