Uninvited

There was a young boy who lived with his parents in a small apartment. It was in the bad part of the city. Crimes always filled the place. The windows never worked, and the doors never lock. Their apartment was ground floor and needed repair for a long time. 

 The young boy had troubles sleeping due to the noises heard from the streets outside. He pleaded his parents to fix the windows and doors, but they weren't able to afford it. Both of them worked long shifts just to make enough money to survive. 

 One night, the boy was sleeping in his room until suddenly he was awakened by an odd scratchy noise. He strained his ears to listen to the sound once more, but he couldn't detect where it was coming from. The bedroom was pitch black, and the dense curtains covered the lights out the streets. 

He hopped off his bed and went to his parent's room down the hallway. The boy whispered, 

"Mom, there's a weird noise in my room." 

 His mother drowsily responded, "It's probably the rats in the walls. Leave it alone... you'll be fine...." 

After that, she immediately fell back to sleep. 

He sighed and tried his best to fall asleep. The scratching noises were coming back but this time they were louder. He ignored the disruptions, but it was impossible to get the sound off his mind. 

 In a blink of an eye, he felt a sharp prick on his back. He jumped out of bed and backed away. The prick felt like an insect. He ran into his parent's room frantically. 

"Dad, something bit me." the boy whispered more urgently.

 Reluctantly, he inspected the bite and discovered blood seeping out of the wound. Slightly worried, the dad went to check his son's bed. 

Moving the blanket away, he found some stuffing coming out of the mattress. 

"Ah, the springs must have poked through!" he said. 

His dad flipped the mattress over, and his face was filled with horror. 

 There was a long knife sticking on the bottom of it, and they noticed fresh mud prints going out the broken window. 

 During the night, someone had sneaked into the boy's room and waited under his bed. The mysterious sound was the knife stabbing through the mattress, almost murdering the boy.