Paper Cranes

Norai and I has been best buddies since elementary school. However, once we went to high school, both of us split. Luckily our mothers were friends. She would occasionally tell how Norai was doing. 

 Until one day my mother told me Norai was deeply sick. I was mortified as she broke the news that he doesn't have long to live. Even though I never talked to him for years, she convinced me to go - and I did. 

 I knocked on his door and walked in. Norai was pale and thin as a stick. I didn't want to disturb his sleep, so I sat there hoping him for the best. Then, I saw a card that says "from the whole class". 

 In Japan, origami was the big bang. Paper cranes indicates happiness. The legends says that if you fold 1,000 paper cranes, your wish will be granted. 

 I checked all the paper cranes held on a string. Some are colorful and unique. I'm relieved that his class care for him and his health. This must've taken a lot of time!

 As I admired them, one crane fell on the floor with a soft thump. To quickly cover my mistake, I picked it up and shoved the crane in my pocket. Norai turned his back; I guess he heard the thump. 

 We had a conversation about multiple of things. His health, family life, school, and other things. Eventually around five minutes, he began to drift away to sleeping again. I can tell his strength is draining away from him. 

 I looked back at the black and white crane stuffed inside my pocket. Suddenly, I realized a message on the bottom white flap. A shiver went up my spine. My hands shake as I discover more messages on the rest of the paper cranes. 

"Perish! Die! Go Away! Be Gone!'