Horns

"You sure you don't mind if I tag along?" Octavia signed as we walked through the city to meet Quetz.

"I don't mind but I don't know about Quetz," I replied. In spite of myself I was excited. I hadn't been flying in over a year. Gosh! What if I forgot how?

"You might be bored though. I can't take you up with me...or well I could but it would be very precarious and possibly dangerous," I said and she shook her head replying, "I'll just watch."

We neared the edge of the city and I saw Quetz sitting in the grass on the side of the road staring at a fuzzy green caterpillar perched on his finger. He was shirtless and barefoot wearing nothing but a pair of frayed drawstring shorts.

And who should be standing next to him but Barapha, his snow white hair glittering in the moonlight. Octavia sighed and glared at the ground as we neared them.

"Chase!" Quetz exclaimed with a smile setting the caterpillar on the grass and jumping up. I couldn't help but return his smile, he just looked so happy.

"You know for someone you claim isn't your pet she sure seems to follow you around a lot," Barapha said crossing his arms over his chest and nearing Octavia and I.

Octavia raised her hands to issue a snarky comeback but before she could I caught her hands in mine and asked Barapha, "What are you doing here?"

He shrugged and responded, "I thought you might need a little pick me up before you go flying. Plus I've never seen an incubus in his natural state and Amphithere's really are beautiful."

"All these years you've been alive and you've never seen an incubus let it all hang out?" I asked and he shook his head stepping closer and curling his hands around my bare arms. I was wearing the same shirt I wore Saturday night because the back was already shredded.

"Your kind isn't common, Chase and Sissy never let me see. She wouldn't let me watch her fly because she was embarrassed or something," he said leaning down to meet me. I could feel his icy breath against my warm skin. I shivered. He was right. I did need a pick me up.

"Let me watch you fly, Chase," he murmured softly pressing his cool lips against mine. I heard Octavia scoff and then all sound faded away drowned out by the taste of Barapha's life.

I clutched at him desperately suddenly starving. I had gone days without feeding before. Weeks even, but twenty-four hours away from him and I was starving.

I felt his hands all over me giving me goosebumps, absorbing my warmth. I wanted to fly but this was so good. I could drown in his life there was so much of it.

I kept taking and taking feeling the fire dim and flare as I fed filling him with disastrous heat as he filled me with mind-numbing cold. There was no one to stop me. What a feeling of power that instilled.

There was no one. Just me.

His hands trembled as they reached down to tug at the waist of my pants and I sprung away from him.

He fell backwards onto his butt and I whirled around everything blurring together shiny and swirly together.

"Whoo! Let's go flying!" I shouted punching the air and stumbling around like a drunken idiot smacking right into Quetz who laughed quietly.

I looked up at him with wide eyes shimmering blue and exclaimed, "You're so pretty! Oh my gods!" I reached up to pet his hair twirling the teal, gold tinged streak around my finger.

"Oh you ain't seen nothing yet. Wait til he transforms," Barapha said laying in the grass and staring up at the sky.

"I wanna see. I wanna see a dragon!" I cried and Quetz grinned replying, "And I wanna see your horns."

I felt a tap on my shoulder and I spun around to see Octavia with wide eyes.

"You have horns?" she asked and I suddenly felt wary. She had never seen me before. She had seen my eyes change, but not the horns or the wings or the fangs...what if she didn't like me after?