Blackout

I arrived at the library on foot about twenty minutes later hoping that Nikolai hadn't been waiting too long. I was just walking up to the front doors when I heard someone shouting my name. I turned to see Nikolai jogging across the parking lot with a ridiculous grin on his face.

"Hey, Chase!" he said coming to halt before me, "I got here a few minutes ago. Figured I'd have a smoke while I waited. How are you?" I stared at him and swallowed hard. I had forgotten how...Mmm he was.

Nikolai suddenly took a step back, his face flushing beet red and he sighed, "Damn, I forgot how powerful you were."

I took a step back as well and shook my head saying, "Do you have Octavia's stuff?" He smiled and my heart skipped a beat.

"Yeah, it's in my car. Come on," he said before turning and starting back across the parking lot. I exhaled slowly and followed after him.

He stopped by his car and opened the back seat saying, "I had Augie and Celeste grab a couple outfits and some PJs." He removed a duffle bag and continued, "Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant...Celeste insisted on shampoo and conditioner and some face scrubby stuff." He shook his head and muttered, "I don't know." He shoved the bag into my hands and grabbed another that I recognized as Octavia's laptop case.

He slung it over his shoulder and shut the door asking, "Do you wanna put it in your car and uh..." he shuffled his feet sheepishly, "Maybe get a coffee or something?" I stared at him, his words getting lost on the way to my brain.

Mistaking my silence for reluctance, Nikolai added, "Just as friends, you know. Octavia told me you were seeing someone." My brain finally caught up and I nearly smacked myself in the forehead saying, "I'm so dumb. I walked here. My sister has the car." I massaged my forehead and squinted against the sunlight feeling sweat trickle down my spine.

"Are you okay?" Nikolai asked and I shook my head muttering, "Yeah, I was sick last night. My fault. It's left my brain a little bogged down." He smiled and asked, "How was it your fault?"

"Too much wine. Too much pizza," I gestured at myself and mumbled, "A body that's not actually designed to process large amounts of either. You don't want details, trust me."

"I don't need details," he said rubbing his own head, "It's why I suggested coffee. Thought it might help." I smiled and replied, "You're very sweet, but I should get this stuff to Tawnie's house."

"Do you want me to give you a ride?" he asked, and I shook my head adjusting my grip on Octavia's duffle bag and saying, "N-no, I'm good. Her place is only a couple blocks south of mine."

"Which is how far from here?" Nikolai asked and my shoulders slumped. It was a thirty-minute walk at least and I was already breathing hard just standing here. God, it was hot.

Nikolai suddenly reached up and removed Octavia's bag from my arms. I was about to ask why he had done so, when my vision blurred and I could hear my heart pounding in my head, feel it in my skin. My knees buckled and I would have crumpled to the ground if Nikolai hadn't caught me by the waist.

"I'm fine," I slurred attempting to pull away even as black spots bloomed in front of my eyes.

"Yeah, sure," Nikolai said shoving Octavia's bags back into his car and lugging me over to the library.

My vision cleared and I found myself slumped in an uncomfortable wooden chair in one of the library study rooms. I rubbed my eyes and blinked several times before searching for my spectacles. They were resting on the table in front of me. I reached out, grabbed them and slipped them onto my face.

I looked up to see Nikolai standing clear across the room with his arms crossed over his chest. I groaned and sat up straighter asking, "God, what happened?"

"You passed out a little. I brought you in here. Told the librarian you had heat stroke, and she gave us this room," he replied still smashed against the wall.

"Shit, I'm sorry," I mumbled trying to stand. He pointed at me and snapped, "Sit down. You're gonna make me throw up." I slumped back into my seat and stared at him. He hugged his arms around himself and mumbled, "Seriously, I feel like I have the fucking flu. What did you do to yourself?"

"I told you. Incubi aren't supposed to consume large amounts of human food when they haven't..." I trailed off and sighed folding my arms on the table and resting my head on them.

"Haven't what?" Nikolai asked and I groaned pressing my face more forcefully into my arms. I heard him move and suddenly felt his hand on my back cool even through the fabric of my sweat soaked shirt.

"Damn, you're burning up," he breathlessly said, "Man, how-how are you even functioning right now?" I looked up at him and pathetically mewled, "Please, stop touch--" Before I could finish, he took my face in his hands and pressed his lips against mine.