Muzzle

"I'm not food! I'm a person!" Octavia said with sharp gestures. Barapha released me and leaned towards Octavia towering more than a foot above her.

"Sure smell like food to me," he hissed leering at her maliciously. She raised up onto her toes and flicked her hands in front of his face saying, "And you smell like a dirty bucket of ice from a one star motel. We all have our opinions!"

I saw his fist clench and I knew he was going to hit her. One blow from him would leave her fragile human skull crushed her brain spilling from her ears. I lurched forward, grabbed her arm and jerked her out of the way just as Barapha struck.

She stumbled into me and spun around at the loud bang that followed. Barapha's fist had clawed a chunk of brick the size of Octavia's head out of the wall of the building her back had been facing.

Her grey eyes widened and her breath caught in her throat. I could hear her pulse quicken and smell the fear suddenly leaping from her pores.

The humans clutching desperately at Sissy didn't seem to notice...neither did Sissy herself. They were a little preoccupied. Feeding in public, while completely legal as long as it was consensual, was frowned upon. That didn't mean these people wouldn't be arrested for indecent exposure. Then again, if any cops showed up they'd probably just join in the fun.

Barapha rounded on us his eyes blank with cold rage.

"Apologize and I might not kill you," he said his voice suspiciously contained. Her brow furrowed defiantly and I detected the sharp scent of adrenaline mixing with her fear. Oh no.

"You first!" she signed. Only I noticed her fingers shaking.

Did this girl have a death wish?! Did she think I would always be around to protect her? I wouldn't. I had a job. She had to go to school. I couldn't be around her all the time. Barapha was reckless enough to break into her school and snap her neck if he so desired.

"I haven't done anything that merits an apology, you swine," he snarled and her jaw dropped.

"Besides the fact that you keep trying to insult me by referring to me as a pig, which is absurd on your part because pigs are intelligent and amazing creatures, you just tried to kill me!" she retorted flinging her hands angrily.

"I'll have you know that I haven't exceeded my allowance for the month, little girl. And you're right, I have been trying to insult you but now I realize it's the pigs I should be apologizing to!" he said taking step closer to us. I pulled Octavia back by the hand. We really should be leaving.

"Sure, but in case you've forgotten, which is probably likely considering you don't seem too bright, Mythics are allowed to kill to feed not because someone hurt their feelings, that would be considered murder and you'd be thrown in prison like anyone else," she signed and I cringed. I should have given her a psych evaluation before taking her in. I didn't know if I was comfortable living with someone this suicidal.

He laughed out loud and the temperature dropped.

"Prison? Prison?! What threat is prison to someone like me?"

"There are Mythic prisons that are--"

"Hardly more efficient than human ones."

"Built on ley lines that negate Mythic powers. I learned about it in my legal studies class!"

He scoffed and took another step closer to us.

"There are ways around such things, not that you'd know anything about it."

She stood her ground though I fought to pull her back. She edged towards him storm clouds raging in her eyes.

"You must be pretty pathetic, risking imprisonment because of one mouthy human," she said her signs slow and deliberate drilling the meaning into him like an ice pick. His jaw clenched, but before he could attempt to strike her again I touched her lightly on the back of the neck flooding her with so much heat her mind couldn't cope and she collapsed unconscious.

I caught her before she hit the ground and threw her over my shoulder like a sack of flour.

"That's enough of that," I said feeling shame and awkwardness clawing for dominance in my chest. I should have stopped her as soon as she demanded an apology from a centuries old ice monster. I glanced at Sissy rolling around half naked in a pile of enamored humans, drawing mere wisps from each of them so as not to risk their death and to prolong her own pleasure. Then I looked at Barapha who was glaring at me like this whole ridiculous argument had been completely my fault. I cleared my throat awkwardly and adjusted Octavia on my shoulder.

"Uh, we'll be leaving now. Thanks for...letting me feed on you...and stuff," I muttered and I could feel my face growing warm. He sighed and stooped to pick up the leather jacket I had dropped. When he looked at me his expression had softened a little.

"Yeah, you too," he replied handing me the jacket. I took it in my free hand and stood there awkwardly for a moment more, my skin burning before turning back towards home.

I had taken a couple of steps when I heard Barapha shout, "Hey, Chase!" I glanced back at him.

"You might want to consider putting a muzzle on that new bitch of yours. A lot of Mythics aren't as forgiving as I am."