CRACK!!

"We should call the police," Sissy said as I pilfered around looking for something Octavia had touched. I plucked the towel she had used after her shower Friday night from the hook on the back of my bathroom door and mumbled, "This is quicker." I held the towel to my chest and closed my eyes breathing deeply. Her scent pricked at my senses. I dug deeper until I caught more than her scent. I latched onto her aura, her essence. I could feel it tugging at the space behind my heart. I opened my eyes and hung up the towel.

I could half see half feel the shade of her aura like a pale violet sheen concentrated in the areas where she had spent most of her time. I left the bathroom and Sissy followed me. The sofa shimmered with the echo of Octavia's presence. Barapha was standing by the door. He glanced at me and asked, "We doing this or what?" I nodded and replied, "I've got her scent locked in. If she's on this continent, we'll find her."

Barapha smirked and said, "I like that look in your eyes, Chase." He opened the door, and I walked through closely followed by Sissy who said, "I'm going to call Tessa and explain what is happening."

"No," I said as we ran down the stairs, "She'll want to open a proper investigation and we'll have to fill out a bunch of paperwork. We don't have time."

"Fine, I'll call Taylor. He can keep an eye out in case she comes back," she said, and I waved my hand at her saying, "Yeah, sure." She began dialing Taylor's number as we reached the lobby.

I plowed through the front doors, and we stepped out onto the crowded, sunlit street. I looked around, my eyes shimmering blue picking up on the subtle shrouds of energy swirling around each individual on the street. I ground my teeth and closed my eyes trying to focus on the feeling rather than the sight.

I took several steps forward feeling her pull faintly in my chest. A hand suddenly yanked me back and I opened my eyes just in time to see a car honk and whiz by. Sissy patted me on the shoulder and said, "How 'bout we do this with our eyes open, huh?"

I growled and retorted, "I can't. There are too many people."

"Then fly," Sissy said, "I'll follow you." Barapha set his hand on my shoulder, and I looked up at him. He smiled reassuring and said, "Wherever you end up, I'll be there." I nodded and my wings shot out of my back, nearly smacking several pedestrians in the face. I soared up into the sky and Barapha shouted, "You're lucky I don't like that shirt!"

His attempt to lighten the mood made me feel warm inside. The tension in my chest eased slightly and I took a deep breath flying higher and higher until I was no longer distracted by the people swarming the streets below. I closed my eyes and felt for Octavia's trail. I heard a thump of wings and felt the heat of Sissy's presence behind me. I locked onto Octavia's signature and started forward moving cautiously at first. As the pull of Octavia's aura grew stronger, I flew with more confidence, quickly leaving the city behind.

We soared over suburbs and parks, bike paths and swimming pools. We came close to Watermill and the scent grew stronger. I began circling lower and I heard Sissy shout my name over the roaring wind. I growled and climbed higher into the air flying over the neighborhood.

"Is she there?" Sissy asked grabbing onto my arm so that we were both bobbing in midair. I searched with my eyes and my heart. We were close. I scanned the neighborhood and saw the trail leading not to a house but to the surrounding forest. I pointed towards the trees and Sissy let go of my arm. We moved slowly forward, my eyes blazing blue as I searched the trees. Finally, I saw it. A faint violet aura, barely visible through the trees.

"There," I said diving for the spot. I made it about fifty feet down before Sissy caught me by the waist and we rolled through the air.

"What are you doing?" I exclaimed as we broke apart and regained several feet.

"You'll get yourself killed going in like that. There might be other people and if they're with the IL they might have guns. Let's land over there and go in on foot," she said pointing to an area about a hundred yards away.

I shook my head and said, "Right. You're right." We circled down towards the ground and landed in a small clearing. I started stomping through the woods, my wings flared out behind me and got about three feet before Sissy grabbed my wrist and hissed, "You'll be shot on sight looking like that. Now, summon Barapha."

I sighed and retracted my wings before closing my eyes and calling to Barapha in my mind. A moment later the temperature dropped, and a frigid wind stirred the surrounding trees. Barapha materialized and glanced around saying, "Not what I was expecting, but I guess this is better. Where is she?"

I nodded west and replied, "About a hundred yards that way."

"What do you mean better?" Sissy asked and Barapha glanced at her saying, "It's good that we're not in a neighborhood. Things could get messy." He started forward and I followed him. Sissy scampered after us saying, "Maybe I should go first."

"Why?" I whispered as we crept through the woods.

"Because you two look like you're fixing to murder someone. Let me go first. I can scope the place out," she said. Before I could reply, Barapha said, "No, too dangerous. Until we know for sure what we're up against, I want both of you behind me."

I looked up at him with wide glistening eyes, my heart beating faster at the determined set of his jaw. Sissy sighed and the air around us warmed minutely as she said, "I love it when you get all protective, Bara." He rolled his eyes at her and mumbled, "Shut up."

We came to the edge of a small clearing. Hiding behind the tree line we surveyed the area spotting a low rectangular block building covered in graffiti. It appeared abandoned. There were no vehicles and no guards. Barapha leaned down and asked, "Is she still in there?" I nodded and closed my eyes listening intently.

"I hear six, maybe seven heartbeats," I murmured and Barapha smirked cracking his knuckles and saying, "Easy." He stepped into the clearing. 

CRACK! A shot rang out and Barapha's head snapped back. His body crumpled to the ground.