Flying Away

"So...Premium Organic?" I asked after a few moments of silence and he looked up at me with an embarrassed smile. I could see the outline of teal scales fading from his cheekbones.

"Yeah, I work at one of their dairy farm and free trade produce co-op's upstate. It was the first comparison that came to mind," he mumbled and I laughed and his face went pink and he looked away.

"I thought you said Barapha caught you walking home from work. That farm has gotta be two hours out by car. At least," I said tilting my head to the side in confusion. He glanced at me and replied, "I walk to the edge of the city and then fly the rest of the way. Cars make me kind of claustrophobic and it's nice having a chance to stretch my wings. Being in human form all the time can be a little suffocating."

I nodded and muttered, "I get that." My little freak-out moment when Sissy and I were talking about Octavia and her father yesterday was the closest I had come to my natural state in years. He raised a questioning eyebrow at me and asked, "You do? But-is this not-do you have a form that is different than this one?"

"Yeah, a little. Not like you, I'm guessing. My whole body doesn't change just parts," I said. "It must be nice to be able to fly to work every day." He nodded so enthusiastically he actually bounced on the couch cushion and he replied, "Yes, it is. Can-can you fly?"

"It's been a while, but yeah, I can," I responded and his face lit up with the most emotion I had seen from him since he got here. He suddenly grabbed my hands and began stuttering, "Can--will you--I mean--if-if you want--well you see-" He huffed angrily and this time I actually saw flames flicker behind his teeth. He shook his head and looked directly into my eyes, his hands were hot against mine.

"I don't have many friends, Chase, and the friends I do have are...well they're really more like Barapha's friends and by friends, I mean lackeys who only hang around him because he's powerful and they think following him makes them seem interesting. None of them fly anyway and well that was the only good thing about the family reunion; being able to fly with other Amphithere's and I know you're not, but it still might b-be fun. If-if you have the time or are even interested," he babbled frantically shaking my hands.

I stared at him for a moment in surprise and then smiled and said, "That would be awesome. I'm off two weekends a month, Tuesdays and Thursdays when I work weekends. Or I'm off by seven most days if you want to go at night."

He abruptly let go of my hands and tackled me in a hug wrapping his bare arms around me enveloping me in near suffocating heat. It was different than my heat, it was topical like hugging a giant hot water bottle.

"Aw, I knew you two would get along," a voice said and Quetz pulled away from me. I glanced back toward the kitchen and saw Barapha walking towards the couch.

"H-he said he will go flying with me," Quetz said happier than a kid on Christmas. Barapha grinned and leaned over the back of the couch.

"That's great. For both of you," he murmured turning his head to glance at me and licking his lips. I felt the blood rise in my face and he chuckled before looking at Quetz. He sighed and pressed his slender fingers against the Amphithere's face.

"I see Chase has got you all hot and bothered," he murmured and Quetz tilted his head and sighed as Barapha pulled the warmth from his skin. I suddenly felt awkward and was just about to get up off the couch to see what Sissy and Octavia were doing when I felt Barapha's free hand curling around my neck and the cold riveted through my body, but less intense because he was feeding on Quetz as well. It was almost pleasant.

"Ah hem!" Someone cleared their throat noisily and Barapha's hand left my neck.

"Right. Leaving," he said straightening up and looking at Sissy who promptly threw a bundle of clothes at him and snapped, "Wouldn't want to forget what you came for." he caught the clothes and smirked.

"Alrighty-roo, Quetz, we're going home," Barapha said and Quetz jumped up off the couch. I stood and followed them to the door.

"Oh right, Chase," Quetz exclaimed pausing by the open door and looking at me his golden eyes bright with joy.

"I don't get days off, as such. It's kind of an arrangement with the farm. I come in every day and they pay my hourly wage and throw me whatever livestock they've put out to pasture. It's not ideal, but it's better than the meat at the supermarket and you know hunting grounds have become a little scarce over the past few decades. Anyway, I'm out most nights by 6:30pm and I get off early on Tuesdays around three so nights or Tuesday afternoons work for me," he said fairly glowing with hope, the gold tingeing the blue-green streaks in his hair shimmering in the hall lights.

"Nights will probably work better for me," I said smiling at his infectious enthusiasm.

"Yes. Good. Can I met you at the edge of the city at eight tomorrow?" he asked and the longing in his voice was audible and it pulsed in his swirly gold and turquoise aura throwing glitter in the air.

"It's a date," I replied and his face went cherry red and he sputtered a few non-words before Barapha shoved him out the door and turned back to me. He leaned down and towards me until our noses were nearly touching and I could feel his frosty breath.

"Well that went better than I thought it would," he mumbled before closing the gap between us and pressing his lips against mine. I couldn't help but tug at the thread of his life. After sitting next to a fire breathing lizard so long I really needed a cooldown and it had been ages since breakfast.

I felt his hands caress my face and after a moment he pulled away and I whined pathetically all his flaws forgotten. He looked at me and laughed, his blue eyes sparkling mischievously.

"Just enough to tide you over until next time," he whispered and suddenly he was gone and the door slammed shut leaving nothing behind but a cool refreshing breeze.