The Will

"There it is," Charlotte said pointing to a section of her brother's will. I looked down at it and read: In the event of my death, custody of my daughter, Octavia Rose Fuller, will be transferred to my older sister Charlotte Anne Demarco and her husband Alfonso Demarco until she reaches eighteen years of age. 

I sighed and glanced at Octavia who was sitting in her seat at the study table with her arms crossed over her chest. I looked at Charlotte who was smirking in satisfaction and asked, "Can I meet your husband?" She raised an eyebrow at me.

"Why?" 

"Because I'd like to know both of the people Octavia will be living with," I replied and Octavia sat up straight her arms flying out in protest. Charlotte shifted uncomfortably in her seat and said, "Alfonso is no longer in the picture so she'll only be living with me." I tilted my head to the side.

"Can I ask what happened?" She scowled and said, "I don't see how it's any of your business." 

"If you want custody of Octavia then tell me."

"I already have custody! I'm just doing this to be nice! You've taken care of her for the past several days. I acknowledge that but now it is time to let her go!" she snapped and I sighed removing my glasses and massaging my face. I didn't know what to do. I could make her yield. It would be so easy, but really what sort of life could I give Octavia? She would probably be better off with her aunt. 

"I'd like to see where she'll be living," I finally said looking up at her. She opened her mouth to deny my request but I interrupted before she could speak.

"Please. I just want to know what kind of environment she'll be living in. Her last apartment was disgusting." Charlotte sighed and nodded. She stood up, folded the will and stuffed it back into the large manila envelope it had been in. 

"Fine. We can go now," she said before walking stiffly out of the study room. I stood up as well, but before I could move I felt Octavia grab onto my wrist. I looked at her and was startled by the angry expression on her face. 

"I don't want to live with her," she signed releasing me. 

"Why?" I asked, "Has she done something to you?" She shook her head and replied, "No, I just..." Her hands went still and she looked away from me a light pink blush creeping into her cheeks. I stood there waiting. After a few seconds, she just shook her head and left the room. I sighed and followed after her. 

We met her aunt beside a silver SUV and after a moment of convincing Octavia reluctantly climbed into the front passenger seat. I wondered if I should accompany them or if I should follow from the air. 

"Where's your car?" Charlotte asked. I tilted my head and replied, "I was working an hour and a half outside the city and you told me to be here in thirty minutes so I couldn't take my car." She stared at me for a long moment, disgust and curiosity fighting on her slightly wrinkled face. Finally, she shook her head and muttered, "Get in." 

I climbed into the backseat and Octavia quickly joined me clambering over the center console. Her aunt sighed and pulled out of the library parking lot. 

One unbearably awkward car ride later we were driving through suburbia. Perfectly manicured lawns, swimming pools and human children riding their bikes along the sidewalk. There were a couple of young boys playing basketball in a driveway. My palms began sweating. I didn't stand a chance. 

We pulled into the driveway of a two-story house that looked remarkably like the houses on either side of it and Charlotte stopped the car. I hesitated for a moment suddenly hyper-aware of the large rips in the back of my scrubs and I looked at Octavia. She was scowling. She glanced at me and signaled, "This is disgusting. Look at all these cookie-cutter places. If I have to live here I will become a serial killer." I covered my mouth to stifle a laugh. 

We got out of the car and followed Charlotte to the front door. She was just about to unlock it when it flew open and a large brown and white dog came charging out. Octavia dove out of the way, but I wasn't so lucky. It mowed me over and began furiously licking my face, covering my glasses in drool.