Reveal

"No, you cannot take off three hours early," Nora said as we prepped a two-year-old shih tzu for spaying. I sighed and mumbled, "Fine, can I take my break at three then instead of one?" Nora rolled her big green eyes and said, "Sure, but if your ass isn't back here clocking in at four sharp, I'll fire you."

"No, you won't," I said administering a sedative and carefully shaving the little dog's belly. Nora squinted at me and retorted, "You're right, I won't. But I'll make your life a living hell in some other unspeakably horrible way." I smiled and muttered, "Four sharp, captain."

********************************************************************************

I parked on the other side of the street in front of the main entrance of the high school at eight minutes past three and got out of the car searching the car loop for Charlotte's vehicle. I didn't see it. Either Octavia's guidance counselor had convinced her to let Octavia go home with me or she wasn't there yet. Either way...

I darted across the street and sat down on one of the benches close to the front door. My knee began bouncing nervously as I waited for the bell to ring. After a minute, I pulled out my phone trying to squash the anxiety rising in my throat.

Octavia burst out of the front entrance at the head of a stampede of sweaty high schoolers. She caught my eye and quickly cut across the throng. She grabbed me by the arm and with surprising strength, yanked me off the bench. She shoved me forward hastily signing, "Let's get out of here before Charlotte shows up."

"I thought Sýko took care of her," I replied nearly shouting to be heard over the crowd. She nodded and dragged me across the parking lot towards Sissy's car.

"He emailed her to set up a meeting and I'm pretty sure she got it because she's been blowing up my phone all day. I had to block her number."

"What was she saying?" I asked unlocking the back door of the car so Octavia could set her bookbag on the seat. She shook her head and replied, "We can talk about it when we get home." I frowned and said, "I'm actually on my lunch break right now. We'll talk about it when I get home from work." Octavia nodded. 

I started the car and pulled out ahead of all the crazy student drivers and even crazier parent drivers. We rode in silence for several minutes before I glanced at Octavia and said, "We'll get this all sorted out, O. You'll be safe." She looked at me and smiled somberly reaching across the center console to take my free hand in hers. With her other hand she finger-spelled, "Together."

I stared at our hands for a moment before turning back to the road feeling guilt twist oddly in my chest. I had to wonder what it was that Octavia really felt for me and if I was taking advantage of her affection. I had to wonder if it wouldn't be safer, not to mention more convenient, to cut ties with her. Tell her to suck it up and do whatever her aunt wanted her to. I shook my head and gave her hand one last squeeze before letting go and getting a firmer grip on the steering wheel. It was too late for that now. The Iron Lance would find out who was responsible for having their children arrested. They would find out which house the 'winged beast' flew out of. They might even find out that a Light was hiding right under their noses.

As I pulled into the underground parking garage, I found myself suddenly more worried for Nikolai than I was for Octavia. If the Iron Lance found out that he was an Empath, that he had manipulated the neighborhood guard, that he broke the law by lying on his ID... He would be murdered before the authorities ever got involved.

I felt a hand on my arm, and I turned to look at Octavia. Her brow was creased in concern as she signed, "Are you okay?" It was then that I realized I was on the verge of hyperventilating. I turned off the car and gripped my knees forcing myself to take slow, deep breaths. When my heart was no longer beating quite so loudly in my ears, I said, "I'm worried about your cousin."

She looked confused and asked, "About Niki? Why?" I stared out the windshield for a long moment before saying, "I'll tell you inside." I reached into the backseat and grabbed her book bag shoving it into her arms and opening the door. I got out of the car and Octavia followed suit trailing close behind as we entered the building and ascended six flights of stairs.

Sissy was sitting on the living room floor painting her toenails and chatting with Kenzie on speaker phone when we entered the apartment. She grinned when she caught sight of us and gave a little wave before turning back to her toenails.

I took Octavia into the kitchen, and she set her bag on the counter before looking at me. I chewed thoughtfully on my bottom lip for a moment before glancing at the microwave clock. I had to get going or I would be late clocking back in at the vet. I sighed and looked straight into Octavia's eyes slowly saying, "You cannot share what I'm about to tell you with anyone. Do you understand?" She nodded and signed, "Of course, Chase. What is it? What's wrong with Niki?" I took a deep breath and replied, "Nothing's wrong with him, per se. He's just...well..." I touched her arm and encouraged her to sit on one of the stools in front of the counter which she did.

"You see sometimes it takes a while for a Mythics abilities to become noticeable especially when they are born into human families. Usually, by age thirteen a person's Myth is apparent which is why this is the age at which it is mandatory to register for an ID card," I hesitated and looked at Octavia. She was staring at me with wide eyes. I sighed and glanced around the kitchen before continuing, "Nikolai's Myth first appeared when he was fourteen. After he got his ID. He told me he was going to get it changed when it was time to renew his identification, but then Charlotte and her husband got divorced and she asked him to move back home. He's too scared of what his mom will think of him to get a proper ID."

Octavia's jaw dropped and she stared at me in shock for nearly a minute. I laughed nervously and placed a hand on both of her shoulders saying, "Good talk. I've gotta go. We'll discuss your situation with Charlotte when I get back." I leaned in and kissed her on the forehead adding, "She shouldn't be able to enter the building, but just in case some idiot buzzes Charlotte in, don't open the door. Tell Sissy." I gave her shoulders a squeeze before dashing back through the apartment and out the door.