Child's Play

"You still haven't answered my question," Barapha said, "What do you want this to be?" I squinted at him and asked, "Okay...how did you turn this around on me?" He smirked and playfully fingered the waistband of my boxers, neglecting to answer. I sighed and glanced to the side. This was taking too much energy.

"There's a guy," I said.

"A guy?"

"Mm...yeah. He's Octavia's cousin." There it was. I did it. It was out there. Was I aware that I was pressuring him into making some sort of decision regarding our relationship? Perhaps. Did I feel guilty about it? Maybe a little.

"A human?" he asked and the confusion and disgust in his voice was audible. I shook my head and replied, "An empath...an incredibly powerful empath." I finally looked back at him and saw his eyebrows raised in surprise.

"An empath," he repeated sounding far less disgusted. He titled his head to one side and continued, "Your human has a Mythic for a cousin?" I nodded.

"And you...like him?" He had ceased playing with the waist of my boxers and a small crease had appeared between his eyebrows.

"I don't know. I've only met him twice but I think I could like him and I think he likes me. But if you wanted to...to start something with me, something real, then I wouldn't...like him." He stared at me for a long moment before sighing and tilting his head back against the couch cushion. He was quiet for a several minutes. I was starting to get nervous.

"Tell me what you're thinking," I murmured after another couple of minutes. He took my hand in his and pressed my palm against his face closing his eyes.

"Ask me again," he said and I knew what he wanted me to do. I felt the heat building in my core. Sweat trickling down the back of my neck. It traveled down my arm, through my fingertips and into Barapha.

"What am I to you, Barapha? What do you want from me?" I asked. The air around us shimmered with warmth. He sighed and his whole body seemed to relax.

"I want everything from you, Chase," he murmured and the breath caught in my throat.

"The...the idea of you becoming romantically involved with someone else makes me feel very uncomfortable. I know that seems hypocritical considering I live with another man but--" I leaned forward and pressed my lips against his, slipping my tongue between his teeth.

The kiss was frantic and sloppy and left us both breathless. I twisted my fingers through his hair and rested my forehead against his saying, "That was all I needed to hear, Barapha." He looked into my eyes, his own glazed with the heat I had pumped into his veins.

"And about Quetz," I said and for a second he looked worried. I smiled and continued, "He's lovely and I know you have...needs that I don't feel comfortable satisfying. So he's kind of perfect." Barapha breathed a sigh of relief and leaned back against the couch.

"But does he know?" I asked and he looked at me with an expression of guilt disguised as confusion.

"Know what?" he inquired and I raised an eyebrow. He maintained the bemused expression for several seconds before rolling his eyes and saying, "He knows that I don't love him. He knows I just use him for sex and for food. I've made it abundantly clear and he is okay with it. He's okay with you." I considered him for a long moment. Then I smiled. 

 "Well, now that's cleared up!" I announced rolling off his lap and into the seat next to him. I grabbed the television remote and flicked on the TV. Barapha glanced at me with a raised eyebrow and I felt the blood rush to my face. What was I doing? Barapha wasn't one to sit around watching movies. He probably wanted to--

"They added all the Child's Play movies to Netflix. Quetz doesn't like slashers so he won't watch with me. Will you?" he asked and I couldn't keep the enormous grin from stretching across my face.

"I love those movies!" I said logging into Netflix. He hooked his arm around my shoulders and pulled me close as the opening credits began.