Red Hands

I got back to the vet's office just in time to avoid being yelled at by Nora and I finished the remainder of my shift without spiraling into a pit of anxiety. I just kept telling myself that nothing bad would happen to Octavia as long as Sissy was with her...Nothing too bad in any case...probably.

I clocked out a six o' clock, ignored Nora's attempt at after work small talk and raced out the door, around the building and across the employee parking lot.

I arrived back at the apartment, took a deep breath and opened the door. On the other side, I saw Octavia and Taylor playing Red Hands on the living room couch. Taylor was dressed up as Parker from Perfect Justice. Octavia's face was beet red.

Taylor yanked his hands out from under Octavia's and gave them a resounding smack. Octavia winced and Taylor snapped, "Come on, Tav, focus!" I set my keys, wallet and phone on the table by the door and glanced around asking, "Where's Sissy?" Taylor glanced up and replied, "Dinner with some dude named Dyson."

I nodded and said, "Right. Thomasina's mechanic friend. Sis mentioned she might have to go out with him as payment for towing and cleaning her car." Taylor made to smack Octavia's hands as I was speaking, and he hesitated long enough on the word 'payment' for Octavia to whip her hands away from his.

"Ha!" she signed victoriously before sticking her tongue out and adding, "Focus, Park, focus!" He squinted at her, his dark hazel eyes flashing dangerously, and Octavia's cheeks flushed an even deeper shade of red. They switched positions, Taylor laying his hands palm facing down on top of Octavia's. I watched as Octavia stared intently into Taylor's eyes. She moved to strike and missed by a hairsbreadth. He smirked and I heard her heartrate increase.

I sighed and left them to their games, trudging down the hall to my room where I changed out of my scrubs. Upon re-entering the living room, I saw that Octavia and Taylor had once again switched places.

"You guys have dinner yet?" I asked plopping down on the recliner.

"No," Taylor replied before slapping the tops of Octavia's hands. I cringed and said, "Easy, Tay."

"It isn't in my nature to be merciful, Chase," Taylor muttered and Octavia all but swooned not even attempting to move her hands as Taylor hit them. I rolled my eyes and mumbled, "Alright, Parker."

I watched Taylor smack Octavia's hands a couple more times before smiling to myself. I sighed and glanced around the living room saying to no one in particular, "Now that I think about it, I might recall Sissy mentioning that she wouldn't be home until late. I wonder what sort of agreement they managed to come to. I doubt she would be gone so long if all he offered was a discount. He must have done it for free."

I saw a muscle in Taylor's currently chiseled jaw twitch and his hands hit empty air. Octavia let out a strangled laugh and Taylor grudgingly switched positions. I set my elbow on the arm rest and rested my chin in my palm muttering, "I think that Dyson guy is Blaidd Gwaed. I hear they can get pretty freaky in the sack. Does anyone know if tonight is a full moon?"

Octavia slapped the backs of Taylor's hand in perfect synchronicity, the sound resonating resolutely through the air. Octavia's mouth formed an astonished 'O' and Taylor sighed saying, "Guess I'm buying dinner tonight." He looked at Octavia and I, his expression occupationally surly and he asked, "Take away or dine in?"

Octavia and I exchanged a look before grinning simultaneously and exclaiming, "Take away!"