You Need Me

I dropped the cup scattering ice cubes all over the hard wood floor and hastily searched for something to cover myself with. Barapha turned to look at me over the back of the couch and stifled a laugh.

"Why are you covering yourself? It's not like I haven't seen you naked," he said setting the book aside and standing up.

"W-what are you doing here?" I asked reaching for the blanket hanging across the back of Sissy's recliner. Barapha stooped to retrieve the cup I had dropped and with a wave of his hand returned all the fallen ice cubes to it.

"I heard you calling me," he said setting the cup on the end table between the couch and recliner.

"How?" I asked and I could hear the blood pounding in my ears. I thought I was fine. I thought I could go another day and a half easy, but now that he was here...I hesitated in wrapping the blanket around my waist.

"I can hear those I feed from. Hear when you need me," he murmured removing an ice cube from the cup and approaching me. He reached out and gently removed the blanket from my hand tossing it back on the chair. He looked me up and down and asked, "When was your last meal?"

I stared at him, struggling to feel self-conscious and failing. His aura was pulsing with power in shades of glittering blue and white. It seemed ten times more refreshing than a cold shower.

"W-Wednesday," I replied breathlessly. I wanted him to touch me. I wanted to feel the coolness of his skin. His icy breath against my neck. His snow white brow creased in confusion.

"You mean you haven't had anyone since Quetz and I?" he asked and I shook my head unsure of what would come out if I tried to speak.

"No wonder you're so flushed," he murmured stepping closer and pressing the chunk of ice against my skin, smoothing it down my neck and across my shoulder to the hollow above my left collar bone. I bit down on my bottom lip, my hands curling into fists.

"And these dark circles beneath your eyes," he said brushing his frigid fingertip gently across the fragile skin beneath my eyes, plucking disastrous heat from my flesh.

"Mmm," he hummed, "That won't do at all." He leaned forward and licked the water from my neck, his tongue colder than the ice cube he was tracing down my chest. I closed my eyes and clamped my teeth down on the side of my tongue to suppress a moan. His lips moved to my jaw, the ice cube trailing up my neck and to my mouth skimming across my bottom lip.

"Do you want me to kiss you?" he asked, his lips hovering at the corner of my mouth, his breath turning the water on my skin into a thin layer of ice. I reached up with trembling hands and grabbed his face, flooding him with warmth. Red light roiled beneath his skin and his hands clamped down on my waist yanking me closer as his lips slammed against mine.

It was like the first sip of water after trekking ten miles through the desert. His lips parted and he shoved his tongue into my mouth, caught in throes of my heat. The front of my body pressed tightly against his and I was suddenly very aware that I had no pants on.

That awareness was quickly erased by the taste of his life thread. Coconut and cardamom...almond and rose water...the colors white, silver and blue. Freshly fallen snow and crisp mountain air. I was brought jarringly away by the feel of his hand on my naked ass.

I pushed him away breathing hard. He stumbled catching himself on the back of the couch. His dark blue blood had pooled beneath the skin of his cheeks, causing a purplish flush to bloom across his face.

"Did I do something wrong?" he asked breathlessly, his icy eyes locked on me, his fingers digging into the fabric of the couch. It was taking everything he had not to throw himself at me.

I shook my head swallowing hard and replied, "No. I-I just need to put some pants on."

"You really don't," Barapha retorted and my face went red.

"I do. Just...give me a minute," I said darting down the hallway and towards my room. I ducked inside and slammed the door before rushing over to my dresser and grabbing a pair of boxers. They were dark blue with yellow stars. I felt ridiculous. Why didn't I have any normal adult clothes? I shook my head and yanked them on.

I took a deep breath and left my room slowly walking back into the living room. Barapha immediately started towards me.

"Wait," I said holding out my hand and he did though from the way he was gnawing on his bottom lip I could tell he really didn't want to. I hugged my arms around myself and carefully considered whether I wanted to have this conversation right now.

"I need to ask you something," I said.

"Ask away," he replied and I took another deep breath.

"What is this?" I asked and his brow furrowed. I sighed and continued, "I mean us. Is this like a...a thing? Are we a thing?" I shook my head in confusion. This shouldn't have been that hard. Then again, I hadn't really dated in...well a very long time.