Octavia Returns

"Shh," he hissed holding his finger to his lips, "This is my incognito persona." I raised an eyebrow and said, "I didn't know you had one of those." He shrugged and replied, "I mostly just use it around here so the paparazzi don't know where I live."

"How come I've never seen it before?" I inquired as we neared my car. Taylor rolled his eyes and replied, "Like I'm gonna risk your sister seeing me wearing something as boring as this." I nodded in understanding and stuck my key in the driver's side door. I suddenly stopped and looked at Taylor with a furrowed brow.

"I don't think I've ever asked you this, but what do you really look like?" I asked and he stared at me for a long minute before smiling awkwardly and saying, "I honestly don't remember."

"You don't have like a factory setting?" I asked with a laugh. He thought for a moment before replying, "I don't know. I'd say this is close to a factory setting, but I'm really not sure. My parents aren't even sure. I started shifting as soon as I was born. Freaked them the fuck out since neither of them are shifters."

"That's actually really intriguing and I'd love to discuss it further, but I'm gonna be late for work," I said opening the car door. Taylor danced from one foot to the other and asked, "Can I tag along? Sissy's got plans and I don't have shooting on Mondays so I'm hella bored."

I shrugged and said, "Why not?" I unlocked the passenger side and he got in. We sped out of the parking garage and I asked, "Do you want me to drop you somewhere?" He glanced at me and sighed.

"Your office is pretty close to the center of town, yeah?" he inquired and I nodded. "I can just ride there with you and then wander. Maybe see a movie or something."

"By yourself?" He nodded. I raised an eyebrow. "In your 'incognito persona?'" Once more, he nodded. I squinted at him and asked, "You feeling okay?" He smiled and replied, "Even attention whore's like me enjoy being alone every now and then."

We rode in silence for several minutes before Taylor said, "So, you and Barapha seem to be getting pretty serious." I gave him a look and he grinned. Even wearing such an exceptionally plain face, he was cute when he smiled.

"Sissy mentioned you're going out again on Tuesday and that he stayed over again last night," he admitted and I sighed.

"Never figured him for your type, honestly," he mumbled sitting back in the passenger seat and crossing his arms.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I snapped feeling oddly defensive. He held his hands up and said, "I just meant he's kind of an asshole. Always figured you with someone soft and thoughtful."

"And what makes you think Barapha can't be soft and thoughtful?" I said. Both eyebrows climbed his forehead and he smiled.

"You obviously know something about him that the rest of us don't," he sang and my face grew inexplicably warm.

"Maybe I do," I said and he laughed.

I pulled into the vet's office with three minutes to spare and bid Taylor a brief farewell before ducking into the building.

"Well, it's about time, pretty boy," Nora said with a toothy grin, shoving a clipboard into my hands, "Bearded dragon in exam 4. Make it snappy." I took the clipboard and started towards the staff room muttering, "Can I put my crap down first?"

I hastily stuffed my wallet, phone, keys and half empty travel mug into my locker before rushing down the hall towards exam room 4. I opened the door and was immediately tackled in a hug.

I stumbled backwards and was about to shove the person off me when I caught the smell of her hair.

"Octavia," I whispered. She pulled away from me, grinning ear to ear and signing rapidly.

 "Oh my God, Chase! I've missed you so much! We got a bearded dragon. A friend of Augie's was moving house and couldn't keep it so we got it! We wanted to make sure it was alright and this is the only exotic pet doctor in the city. Charlotte was so angry because she knew there were Mythics working here but..." Her words began blurring she was signing so frantically.