Mixed Up

"I can't believe you! You're never late. Never more than a couple minutes anyway," Nora babbled as I grabbed the extra scrubs from my locker.

"And materializing right in the middle of the waiting room," she shook her head, "You're usually so professional."

"I was in a hurry, Nora," I mumbled pulling the scrub shirt on over the long sleeved one. I usually wore an undershirt anyway.

"I could tell...when did you start hanging out with that guy anyway? I hear he's bad news," Nora asked and I glanced at her before changing my pants.

"I really don't think it's any of your business," I said and her dark eyebrows rose high over her sparkly green eyes.

"Is he why you're so late?" She looked me up and down, "And why you look like you slept in those clothes." I didn't answer. I had a blood hound/pit bull mix waiting in exam room three. I didn't have time for these questions.

"Are you dating him?" Nora asked a smile spreading across her mischievous little face.

"Goodbye, Nora," I said before shutting my locker and turning away. I heard her sigh as I left the locker room. I plodded down the hallway towards the exam rooms wondering how I could possibly feel so exhausted after feeding on both Barapha and Quetz this morning.

I pushed open the door to exam room three and was all but mowed over by a large brown and white dog. A familiar voice rang in my ears.

"Juno! Bad girl!" The dog backed away panting excitedly and I looked up to see...

"Nikolai?" What was he doing here? And why did I feel shame stirring in my chest? A wide smile spread across his face seemingly lighting up the entire exam room.

"Chase? This is the vet's office you work at?" he said. I cleared my throat nervously and grabbed the clipboard off the back of the door.

"Uh yeah. So, what's going on, is Juno alright?" I asked looking over the information on the clipboard.

"Oh yeah, our old vet retired so we wanted to get Juno established somewhere in time for her yearly well check," he replied and I nodded trying to identify this weird feeling roiling in my gut.

"Right, well everything looks good. She's due for her Bordetella and distemper vaccines. Though honestly if she's not around other dogs a lot I wouldn't bother with the Bordetella every year," I muttered the last bit before looking up at him my heart pounding fitfully in my chest.

"Um...we can do that today or you can schedule a later appointment," I said suddenly regretting that I chose to wear the long sleeved shirt beneath my scrubs.

"I'll schedule another appointment, but I do need a refill on her Heartguard and Nexguard. Can I get that today?" he asked sounding slightly out of breath. I scribbled some stuff down on the clipboard and replied, "Yeah. A six month supply of both sound good?"

"Mm," he replied and the clipboard disappeared from my hands clattering to the floor. His fingers were on my face, drawing me near. He pressed his lips against mine. My heart felt like it was beating a mile a minute. I wanted to kiss him. That's what the strange tension was. I reached up, curling my hands around the sides of his neck, fingertips tangling in his soft brown hair. I didn't want to feed. I had been completely satisfied in that respect. No...I just wanted to feel his mouth on mine.

Guilt dropped like a stone into the pit of my stomach. In my head I heard Nora ask, Are you dating him? Was I dating Barapha? Did I not spend all night with him? Did we not make plans to spend more time together next week? That sounded quite like dating. I then recalled Quetz's words at the park. Barapha wouldn't expect exclusivity, but it would kill him to catch someone else's scent on something he was sure belonged to him...

Nikolai pulled away and said, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that. I just..." he shook his head and squinted at me. "You wanted me to...right?" I blinked and took a step back.

"I...I don't know. I feel all mixed up," I whispered the last part to myself. I shook my head and grabbed my clipboard off the floor.

"I'll get those meds. You can pay at the reception desk," I said turning to leave the room.

"Chase," Nikolai said reaching out to me. I evaded his grasp and rushed out of the room and into the back where the medications were kept.