Scrabble

Once again, I felt as if I had just been dumped. Thankfully, the café was closer to home than the library and I only had to lug Octavia's stuff a couple of blocks.

I slumped into my apartment building and stabbed the button to call the elevator. A minute later the doors slid open, and I almost ran smack into Jesse, the third-floor landlady's daughter.

"Sorry," I mumbled edging around her. Without looking up she replied, "No prob--whoa!" She whipped around as I slipped into the elevator and asked, "Are you okay?" I adjusted Octavia's laptop case on my shoulder and pressed the button for the sixth floor.

"I'm fine," I grumbled, and she raised an eyebrow at me saying, "Really? Cuz your brain is like aargh!" She made a face and scrambled her fingers at the sides of her head. I stared at her and said, "Thank you for informing me." As the elevator door slid shut.

Upon reaching the sixth floor, I fished my keys out of my pocket. I was just unlocking my door when a voice said, "Hey, Chase." I closed my eyes, thought about ignoring him for a split second, decided against it, sighed and opened my eyes.

"Hey, Taylor. What's up?" I replied turning to see him leaning against the wall between our apartments. He was wearing his incognito persona and sipping from a mug filled with some steaming liquid.

"Nothing much. Is Sissy home?" he asked, and I shook my head saying, "No. She's out with friends." I opened my door and was on the verge of stepping inside when Taylor asked, "Do you wanna hang? I just made a pot of tea." My shoulders slumped and I replied, "Sorry, Tay. I'm beat."

"Okay. Maybe next time," Taylor said turning away and heading back towards his door. I watched him walk away feeling strangely empty. I danced awkwardly in place for several seconds before saying, "Taylor, wait." He glanced back over his shoulder, and I continued, "I'd actually really like to have a cup of tea. Just let me put this stuff down real quick."

Taylor smiled and nodded. I ducked into my apartment and set Octavia's stuff on the couch before leaving once again turning to lock up. Taylor opened the door to his own apartment and led me inside. I blinked in surprise.

"Wow," I said attempting to take it all in. Taylor glanced at me, then at his massive apartment.

"Right, you haven't been here for a while," he mumbled before gesturing at his home and saying, "I bought the two adjacent apartments, knocked out the separating walls and remodeled the whole thing. What do you think?"

"It's nice," I replied as he led me towards the kitchen. Though I couldn't help but wonder why a single person would need a house this big.

"Damn," I said as we stepped into the kitchen. Grey veined marble tile, granite countertops. Double oven with six-burner cook top, a large, double basin, stainless steel sink. Industrial dishwasher, smart refrigerator, beautiful oak wood cupboards, overhead rack for pots and pans, and an impressive array of small appliances; blenders, food processors, toasters, air fryers, stand mixers and pasta makers.

"It's a bit much, but I entertain a lot," Taylor said removing a blue willow pattern teacup from an ornate cabinet against the wall.

"Do you use all this stuff?" I asked watching him pour a cup of black tea for me. Taylor smiled and nodded replying, "Yeah. When I'm not working, I'm in here." He placed a bowl of sugar and a small pitcher of cream on the counter next to the cup and gestured at one of the cushy bar stools.

I sat down and removed the spoon from the sugar bowl tipping a small amount into my cup. I added a bit of cream and said, "I didn't know you liked to cook. I didn't even know that you ate real food."

He laughed and took a sip from his own mug saying, "Of course, I eat real food. I have to actually. Not a lot or often, but adoration, while necessary isn't always enough to sustain this body. I'd have to have eyes on me at all times to manage that."

"That's honestly really interesting," I said swirling the small spoon in my cup. The air around Taylor shimmered and he smiled down at his tea.

"So, what exactly has got you so worn down, Chase?" he asked. I glanced at him and replied, "I'd rather not talk about it." Taylor took a long drink of tea and said, "That's fine. Do you wanna play Scrabble?"