Where Did the Whale Go?

"So like where does the whale go when Quetz shifts back into human form?" I suddenly asked, "I mean, he's a big guy but his stomach can't possibly be big enough to fit a whale." Barapha nearly spat out a mouthful of whisky as he bit back a laugh. He swallowed hard and pointed at me saying, "That is an excellent question. You should ask him when he gets back." I jabbed at the fire with a stick and inquired, "Is he like a snake? Like he stuffs himself then is good for the next couple weeks."

"Gods, I wish. Our bills would be so much cheaper," Barapha muttered taking a sip from the whisky bottle and shaking his head. "Amphitheres are warm blooded. Kids got the metabolism of a Jamaican sprinter. If he didn't have that deal with Premium Organic the boy would eat us out of house and home."

I hummed thoughtfully and reached for the bottle of whisky. Barapha moved it away and said, "I don't think so." I rolled my eyes and made another grab for the bottle. Barapha held it out of reach, and I sighed crossing my arms over my chest and pouting.

Barapha watched me for a moment, his skin warming minutely, and he offered me the bottle. My fingertips just brushed the glass when he yanked the bottle away. I squinted at him, and he smiled.

I lunged forward with a growl and tackled him to the ground, pinning his body beneath mine and reaching for the bottle. He laughed and stretched the arm holding the whisky out to its full extent while twining the other around my waist. I struggled against him and said, "Gimme!"

"Oh no, am I missing all the fun?" Quetz exclaimed and I turned to see him back in human form picking up his boxers and cargo shorts. His skin steamed as the sea water evaporated and within seconds, he was completely dry. He pulled on his underwear and shorts, struggling for a moment to button them. He may have gone slightly overboard with the fishing.

I sprung up off of Barapha and asked, "Where did the whale go?" Quetz looked at me with a confused expression and replied, "Huh?" I gestured at him and clarified, "The whale you ate as a dragon, where did it go?" Quetz blinked and looked at Barapha who just shook his head trying not to laugh.

"Mi estómago" Quetz said pointing at his moderately distended abdomen. I nodded and replied, "Yeah, no, that would make sense if you were still forty feet long, but you're all human-shaped right now and much smaller than a short-finned pilot whale so like where did the rest of it go?"

"He's very concerned about this," Barapha said and Quetz looked at him appearing slightly bewildered as he replied, "Clearly." I shook my head and asked, "Could you eat that much while in this shape?" Quetz shrugged and sat down with a grunt replying, "Probably, it would just take a few more bites." He poked at the fire, and it flared. I blinked at him and mumbled, "Alright. We're just out here defying the laws of physics I guess."

"It's really not that important, Chase," Barapha said trying not to laugh. I looked at him and retorted, "You cannot fit an eighteen foot long, three-ton whale inside a--" I glanced at Quetz and asked, "How tall are you?" He shrugged and Barapha snickered saying, "He's six foot eight, two-hundred and twenty pounds."

"Fine. You cannot fit an eighteen foot long, three-ton whale inside a six foot eight two-hundred-twenty-pound person okay. It's not possible," I said, and they both stared at me. Finally, Barapha stood up and walked over to me asking, "Where do your wings go when you don't have them out, Chase?" I rustled my wings carving lines in the sand and replied, "Inside somewhere. I can still feel them when they're not out." Barapha nodded and touched my left wing pulling it up and out to its full extent.

"And how tall are you?" he asked holding out my wing and turning so that his back was against it. I mumbled something unintelligible, and he glanced at me saying, "What was that?" I sighed and said, "Five seven, why?" He stretched out both his arms level with his shoulders and measured them against my wings asking, "How does one fit approximately eleven and a half feet of wing inside a five-foot seven body?" I blinked several times before saying, "Huh."

Quetz laughed out loud then groaned clutching at his swollen stomach and crying, "Don't make me laugh, I ate too much." Barapha made a face and retorted, "Aw, poor baby. Couple fish trying to swim upstream?" Quetz grimaced and rolled over onto his side nearer the fire. Barapha let go of my wing and crouched down next to Quetz asking, "You want me to rub your tummy?" I covered my mouth to hide a smile.

Quetz pouted and mumbled, "No, your hands are cold." Barapha smirked and glanced up at me asking, "Do you want Chase to rub your tummy?" Quetz swallowed hard, fighting the urge to vomit and nodded. Barapha snickered and I rolled my eyes tucking my wings in against my back and laying down in the sand behind Quetz.

I tucked my face in against the back of his neck and curled my arm around him resting my palm against his stomach. I glanced back at Barapha and he raised an eyebrow at me smirking suggestively. I smiled sweetly and opened one of my wings folding it over Quetz and shielding us from Barapha's view.

"I used to do this thing when I was young and just coming into my powers. I would get so hungry, but I wasn't ready to start feeding so I would stuff my face with whatever I could find," I murmured pressing my lips gently against Quetz' neck. I slowly rubbed his belly allowing wisps of heat to sink into his skin. He sighed and his body relaxed.

"I would get really sick after and my mom would tuck me into bed, lay down beside me and rub my tummy until I fell asleep," I said resting my forehead against the back of his well-muscled shoulder. I sighed feeling sweat slick upon my skin and I closed my eyes whispering, "She would sing to me sometimes." He leaned into me, his naked back flush against my bare chest and he mumbled, "Can you sing to me, Chase?"

I swallowed hard, my head swimming from the sudden heat of his skin like fire made flesh and I softly sang, "Σιγά τώρα, μικρή μου. Σε παρακαλώ, μην κλαις. Ξάπλωσε το κεφάλι σου στον ώμο μου και αναστέναξε. Ο ήλιος έχει φύγει. Η μητέρα θα προσευχηθεί. Η σιωπή θα κρατήσει όσο κοιμάστε." My singing devolved into humming as the heat became too much for me and the wing I had cocooned around us drooped.