Gentle

Several hours later, my headache had faded, and I was starving.

"Told you to call Barapha," Sissy muttered staring into the mirror of her vanity as she carefully applied some liquid eyeliner in a perfect wing. I sighed and crossed my arms over my chest pacing across her room.

"I couldn't. Not with Octavia here," I replied, and she rolled her eyes saying, "He won't hurt her, Chase. He promised to help you save her remember?" I chewed on my bottom lip for a moment before turning to leave the room.

Octavia had moved on to English homework. I watched her sitting on the couch with a book propped open on her knees for several minutes before she sighed and signed, "What?" I shoved my hands in my pockets and replied, "I'm going a little stir crazy. You wanna text Nikolai and ask him to pack up some of your stuff and bring it by the local library so I can pick it up?"

"Why don't I just tell him to bring it here?" she asked sticking an index card in her book to mark her place.

"Because I don't want him to know you're here," I said and she considered me for a moment before saying, "Niki wouldn't rat on us, Chase." I shook my head and said, "I'm not willing to take that chance." She sighed again and gestured, "Fine. I'll tell him the idea of borrowing Tawnie's clothes for another night makes me want to blow chunks and that I need my laptop for homework. But how am I going to explain why he has to bring it to the library or why he's meeting you there? Not that I think he'll complain."

I shook my head and asked, "Does he know where Tawnie lives?"

"No. Every time we hang out at her house, I just hitch a ride when her dad picks her up from school," she replied, and I nodded massaging my temples. My headache had returned and this time it brought friends along.

"Tell him Tawnie lives closer to Center Park than Watermill and that the library is a halfway point," I said and Octavia smirked replying, "Chase, Tawnie does live closer to Center Park than Watermill and the library is a halfway point. That's why we go to the same school."

"Great! So, text him!" I snapped a little more aggressively than I intended. Her hands were still for a moment before she asked, "Chase, are you alright? You look a little flushed."

"I'm fine. Just text him and let me know when he's on his way so I can head out as well," I said. She raised her hands to respond, but I was already on my way down the hall to put on something a shade more appropriate than my strawberry milk pajamas.

Once I had changed, brushed my teeth and ran a comb through the rat's nest on my head, I made my way towards the living room, nearly running smack into my sister who had finally emerged from her room.

"You going out?" she asked hooking her arm around mine and accompanying me down the hallway. I nodded and replied, "Yeah. Octavia's cousin is going to drop a few things off at the library for me to pick up."

"Oh, but I was going to hang out with Tam-Tam and Kenz today. Who's going to watch Octavia?" Sissy asked as we entered the living room. Octavia looked up from her schoolwork and signed, "I'm sixteen. I don't need to be watched!"

"Yes, you do," I insisted, and Sissy glanced between us easily getting the gist of what Octavia had said. She then proposed, "Why don't I take her with me? We were just gonna hit the strip, do some shopping, maybe see a movie, have some lunch and I know Tammy and Kenz would love her. I think Mackenzie even knows sign language."

Before I could answer, Octavia slammed her English book shut and signed, "I'm in." She then looked down at her 'Miso Sleepy' pajamas. Sissy laughed and grabbed her by the hand saying, "Don't worry. I'll find you something decent to wear and do your hair and makeup if you like."

Octavia nodded grinning wildly and signed at me over her shoulder, "Niki said he's on his way and should be there in fifteen minutes." The only thing I could shout in return was an anxious, "Gentle, Sis, gentle!" as they disappeared into Sissy's bedroom.