Fresh Air

I didn't have work tomorrow so I binged seasons two and three of Sherlock. It was nearly four in the morning when I switched off the television and Sissy still wasn't back. I sighed, took my empty tea mug into the kitchen and rinsed it out, leaving my phone tucked securely under the couch.

I undressed and got in bed hoping that Sissy wouldn't be too loud when she came home...if she came home at all. I snuggled under the covers, knowing I'd just kick them off in like twenty minutes and took a deep breath. Tears were suddenly burning behind my eyes. The pillow smelled like Octavia's hair.

***

I woke up around ten. Sissy wasn't home. I made myself some green tea and dug under the couch for my phone. There was a string of texts from Sissy including a number of blurry selfies with nameless celebrities all drunk off their asses either from the free bar at the after party or Sissy's love.

I ignored her texts. I'd see her later. She'd enjoy telling me all about it. I was about to clean out my messages when I noticed a new one from Octavia. I clicked on it.

Hey, did you see Niki yesterday?

I blinked at the screen before replying,

ME: Yeah, why?

I turned the sound back on and set my phone aside before grabbing a random book from under the coffee table and cracking it open. It was The Hobbit. First edition. Sissy bought it as a birthday present for me in 1937.

I sat back in my seat and sipped my tea. I made it through the first page before my phone dinged.

OCTAVIA: Juno needed a new vet. Niki asked which office you worked at. Did you see him?

I stared at the message. I very clearly remembered Nikolai sounding surprised when he saw me enter the exam room.

ME: Yeah. I got Juno established. He made another appointment for her well-check.

OCTAVIA: Ooh!! ;) That means you get to see him again.

I set my phone aside and looked up at the ceiling. Was that why he had made a different appointment even though I said we could do the well-check yesterday. Was he using it as an excuse to see me? My face grew warm. Was I okay with that? I looked back at my phone and wondered if I should share my thoughts with her.

I frowned...I actually didn't want to talk about it. Not until I knew exactly where I stood. I picked up the phone.

ME: Or any of the other six techs. How are you doing, btw? Adjusting okay?

OCTAVIA: I guess. Charlotte drives me to school every morning cuz the bus that comes to Watermill doesn't go to my school. Celeste and Augie are great though. Niki's nice too, don't you think?

Of course, she'd find a way to bring it back to him.

ME: Yes, he is very nice. I'm glad you are doing well there.

OCTAVIA: I liked it better with you and Sissy.

I smiled.

ME: Well then, hurry up and turn eighteen. You can come back to us.

She was silent for a short while. I sipped my tea and read a few pages. After several minutes she replied.

OCTAVIA: I'm still looking for a job. Once I become financially stable I can get emancipated. Then I'll move in right next to you and we can hang out every day.

I stared at the message. It made me feel warm inside.

ME: I really shouldn't be supporting your delinquent behavior, but the Dunkin Donuts across the street from my office had a 'now hiring' sign in the window yesterday. How're you at brewing coffee?

OCTAVIA: OMG that's perfect! If I get a shift that matches with yours you can drive me. Then I won't have to bother with a car.

I closed my eyes. I was just getting her hopes up. I should have been telling her to make do with her aunt and cousins until she turned eighteen.

ME: It was really nice talking to you, O, but I gotta go.

OCTAVIA: Okay. Text me later. I'm dying of boredom here.

I smiled and set my phone on the coffee table. I grabbed my book and half empty mug of tea and left the apartment leaving the door unlocked because it was very unlikely that Sissy took her keys with her.

I headed downstairs towards the community garden. If there was no one else around I'd sit and read. Some fresh air would do me good.