Keys

"Chase," someone called my name at the edge of hearing. I mumbled something incoherent and rolled over. A hand gripped my shoulder and gave it a good shake. I blindly slapped the hand away and whined, "Stop." An exasperated sigh and Sissy yanked the pillow out from under my head snapping, "It's after eight. You need to get ready for work."

"Call in sick," I groaned searching for another pillow and cuddling back up to Niki who was still out cold snoring softly. She thonked me on the head with something hard and I whined clutching at my head.

"Did you drink this whole thing?" she asked, and I squinted up at her. She was holding an empty bottle of tequila. I giggled and replied, "No, dummy. Only half." She sighed and said, "You're still drunk." I scoffed and retorted, "Nah, I'm good. Watch." I rolled out of bed and attempted to stand. The room spun around me, and I said, "Wheee!" before dissolving into laughter.

She tried and failed to suppress a smile. She placed a hand on both of my shoulders and began steering me towards the bathroom saying, "Take a cold shower. There's coffee in the kitchen. I'm going to take Octavia to school then hit the grocery store. You lay down the house rules for your little friend before you leave, okay?"

"Mmm, you're such a good sister," I said trying to wiggle around and give her a kiss. She nodded and replied, "I am the epitome of sisters everywhere. Now shower. You smell like Cinco de Mayo and Samael's."

"Ole!" I exclaimed as she shoved me into the bathroom and shut the door. She shook her head and walked back down the hall, finding Octavia in the kitchen packed and ready to go. Sissy sighed dramatically and said, "Gosh it's hard being the adult." Octavia laughed and Sissy smiled hooking her arm around Octavia's and saying, "Come on, girly, let's get you to school." They left the apartment.

I took a freezing cold shower and brushed my teeth trying to care about how late I would be to work and not quite managing. Groggily, I threw on my scrubs before going to the kitchen and pouring a large cup of black coffee. I took a sip and grimaced before returning to the living room. I sat down on the edge of the pull-out bed watching Nikolai sleep for several minutes before reaching out and giving him a gentle shake.

He moaned softly and opened his eyes just a crack gazing blearily up at me. His eyes suddenly widened, and he sat up much too quickly. He groaned and squeezed his eyes shut clutching his head. I held out the cup of coffee and he took it gratefully taking a long drink.

"I have to go to work. You can stay here for as long as you need," I softly said and he gazed pensively into the cup of coffee mumbling, "Thanks."

"The house is empty right now. My sister took Octavia to school and she's going grocery shopping so she shouldn't be back for a couple hours," I continued, and he nodded taking another drink of coffee.

"There's more coffee in the kitchen. If you want food you'll have to order out or wait for Sissy to come back," I said, and he looked confused.

"Sissy?" he inquired, and I shook my head replying, "My sister, Cecelia." A smile broke across his face, and he snorted into the coffee cup. My face went hot, and I hastily explained, "Everyone calls her that. It used to be CeCe, but they sound similar so it sort of evolved..." I trailed off awkwardly and glanced away clearing my throat. He laughed again and said, "I think it's cute." My face flushed even more intensely, and I felt sweat bead along my spine. I was suddenly very aware that I hadn't eaten since Monday evening and the hangover wasn't helping. He leaned towards me, and I backed away climbing off the bed.

"Uh, Sissy's room is the first door on the right. The bathroom is on the left. My room is at the end. You know where the kitchen is. Please don't go into Sissy's room. Other than that, feel free to wander. I really gotta go. Bye," I said before whirling around and heading unsteadily towards the door.

He reached out to me and said, "Wait." But I was already gone snatching my wallet, keys and phone up off the small shelf by the door. I raced down six flights of stairs, cut across the lobby, descended another flight of stairs, and ran across the underground parking garage before pausing for breath. I leaned against the drivers' side door of Sissy's car panting heavily. I could feel my heart pounding in my ears. My scrub shirt was soaked with sweat and the world was tilting alarmingly beneath my feet.

This was ridiculous. It had been less than two days, and I hadn't really drunk that much. I fumbled for my keys to unlock the door and dropped them. I nearly started crying. I crumpled gently to my knees and found my keys halfway under the car. I pouted and knocked my forehead against the side of the car. The coolness of the metal brought little relief.

I reached half-heartedly for the keys, but my arm was too short. I stretched but it was no use. I pulled back and exhaled forcefully my head swimming, my breath steaming in the air. I leaned back against the car and closed my eyes muttering, "Where's Barapha when you need him?"