Orange Zinger

"So, be honest," I said coming to sit down on the couch beside Octavia. She glanced at me, and I continued, "Did you have a nice time? I know from experience that hanging out with those three can be somewhat overwhelming." She grinned and signed, "I had a great time, actually. Sissy's friends are very cool. Thomasina is a bit intense, but Kenzie was awesome, and they said I could hang with them whenever I wanted." Her smile morphed into something a little more devious and she continued, "Especially once I turn eighteen. They said they'd show me a real party."

I smiled nervously and murmured, "I'm sure. But until then I think you should stick to the daytime sort of party." She laughed and playfully punched me in the arm signing, "You're such a worry wart. It's one of the reasons I love you so much." I blinked at her, and her face suddenly went red as she realized what she had just said.

"In a platonic way, of course. Like a big brother or something," she hastily gestured her hands flying all over the place. I smiled softly and said, "I love you too, Octavia." Her eyes widened and I felt tears suddenly burning in the back of my throat. Nikolai's words echoed in my head, It must be awful having to watch the people around you grow old and die while you stay more or less the same.

Octavia raised her hands to ask what was wrong, but before she could sign a single syllable, I leaned forward and wrapped her in a warm, tender hug. I bit down on the inside of my cheek and tucked my face in against her neck breathing in the scent of her skin. I tried to remind myself that Octavia was young, hardly more than a child. That she had at the very least, sixty good years left on this earth. That a lot of joy could be squeezed out of that many years...and most importantly that, as Nikolai had also said, love is always worth the price of loss.

My glasses began fogging up as tears spilled down my cheeks and I squeezed Octavia tighter. I felt her hands on my back, her fingertip tracing the letters, "R U OK?"

I sniffled and replied, "Yes...I just...I'm glad that you love me. It makes me happy. Can I keep hugging you?" I felt her nod and her palms came to rest gently against my back. I sighed and closed my eyes.

Nearly a minute had passed, and I could feel the sweat trailing down Octavia's spine brought on by the heat of my skin. I tried to pull away, but her arms tightened around me. Her breathing sped up and I could hear her heart beating inches away from mine.

"Octavia," I murmured reaching back to pull her arms away from my back. She reluctantly leaned away, her face flushed, and she signed, "Ok...maybe as more than a brother...a little bit." My brow furrowed and she laughed awkwardly saying, "Never mind. How-how did it go with Niki?"

I grimaced and turned away from her mumbling, "I don't really want to talk about it." Octavia frowned and signed, "What did he do? Confess his love? Jump you?" I laughed in embarrassment and removed my glasses using the bottom of my shirt to clean them as I said, "Both, kind of."

Octavia's eyes widened and a wide smile broke across her face. She bounced up and down on the couch a few times before replying, "What did you tell him?" I shook my head and mumbled something unintelligible. She cocked her head, and I sighed loudly saying, "I really don't feel like talking about it, O." She raised her hands in surrender and signed, "Alright, as you like."

I scooted over to the other side of the couch and cleared my throat saying, "What we really need to talk about is what you're going to do come Monday." She shrugged and responded, "I guess I can take the train to school if you don't have time before work or I can ask Sissy to--"

"No, I mean after that. What are you going to tell your aunt?" I shook my head and continued, "I can't let your go back to that neighborhood and I doubt Charlotte will allow you to stay over at a friend's house during the week."

Octavia was silent for a few minutes before saying, "Maybe I should just tell her the truth. That as someone who goes to a mixed school and who has Mythic friends, I don't feel comfortable living in a neighborhood where people hand out pamphlets for the Iron Lance."

"Do you think she'll care?" I asked and Octavia thought for a moment. Finally, she snapped her fingers and said, "I'll tell her what Augie told me about those little d-bags getting arrested. I'll tell her I was scared and that's why I went to stay with Tawnie. I'll turn on the water works, puppy dog eyes, the whole nine."

I nodded slowly and said, "Okay. Ask her if she can pick you up from school on Monday. Tell her you need to talk in private. Ask if you can stay with Tawnie for a few more days. It will give us time to come up with a more permanent solution."

"And if she says no?" Octavia asked. I straightened up and replied, "Then call me and I'll...I'll make her." She raised an eyebrow at me and said, "You don't sound real sure about that." I shifted awkwardly and mumbled, "Is isn't something I'd like to resort to, but I'd do it for you if I had to." Octavia smiled and leaned across the middle cushion to press her lips lightly against my cheek.

"You're a good person, Chase," she signed before hopping up off the couch and saying, "I'm gonna make some tea. You want some?" I blinked and touched my cheek feeling heat concentrate in my face before flustering, "Uh, sure. Nothing caffeinated though."

She grinned and gestured, "Orange zinger, coming up." Before disappearing into the kitchen.