I Understand

"Well that was better than a Lifetime Special," Sissy said when I turned around. I leaned back against the door and smiled mumbling, "Was it?" Sissy stood up and ran over to me. 

"Chase, are you blushing?" she cried and I felt my face grow even warmer. 

"What? No! Don't be silly," I said waving my hand through the air and moving away from the door. 

"OMG! Yes you are! I thought you were mad at him!" she exclaimed following me into the kitchen. I pulled a red mug that said, 'Keep Calm and Drink Tea' out of the cupboard and went to the pantry for a bag of green tea. 

"Not really," I said filling a plastic pitcher with water and putting it in the microwave to heat. Sissy grabbed me by the shoulders and spun me around so I would look at her. 

"Chase, the guy you spent the night with says he has a boyfriend and you're not upset?" she asked carefully articulating her words. I sighed and glanced at Octavia sitting at the kitchen counter hunched over a sheet of notebook paper scribbling away. 

"I feel a little bad, I guess," I mumbled and the microwave beeped. Sissy let go of me and I poured steaming water over my tea bag. 

"For the Amphithere," I continued and Sissy sighed dramatically. I turned to look at her and said, "Clearly he wants more from Barapha than Barapha is prepared to give. That really sucks." Sissy stared at me for a moment before saying, "You should really consider thinking more about yourself." I smiled at her and asked, "Isn't that what I did last night?" She shook her head and laughed muttering, "You're so weird." There was a loud smack and Sissy and I looked over at Octavia. She was staring at us looking pissed off. 

"I'm trying to write an essay!" she signed sharply. "Can you please shut up?!" I stared at her for a moment and then sighed before walking over to the counter, cup of tea in hand, and sitting down across from her. 

"I'm sorry about the things I said last night, Octavia," I said unable to meet her gaze, instead staring at her hands. She considered me for a brief minute eyes narrowed suspiciously then she slowly signaled, "I'm sorry too." I finally met her gaze eyes widened in surprise and I asked, "You are?" She nodded and said, "You were right. This is your house and I'm a guest. You saved my life and gave me a place to stay that is like ten times better than where I lived before. I should be more grateful. I'd probably be dead if you hadn't intervened Friday night."

I felt tears pricking at my eyes as I stared at her in stunned silence. Sissy bumped me with her elbow and hissed, "What's she saying?" Octavia's storm grey eyes held mine as she continued, "I am grateful, you know? Like super grateful. I'm just not real great at showing it."

I got up from my bar stool, walked over to Octavia and hugged her. I was so worried she wouldn't forgive me I hardly considered what I'd do if she did. She hugged me back for a few seconds and then pulled away hesitantly signing.

"But I'd be a lot more grateful if you didn't let in people who want to kill me...at least not while I'm in the house." 

"He only wanted to kill you because you pissed him off," I replied and she rolled her eyes violently gesturing, "He called me food and pig and a pet!"

"And you said he was stupid and smelled bad," I said uncertainly. I didn't want to argue. Confrontation wasn't really my thing, but I felt obligated to defend Barapha. 

"He is and he does!" she claimed jumping up off her stool. What was up with this girl? It's like she wanted to fight. You'd think after being smacked around by her father for years she'd be more timid. Then again maybe her confrontational nature and smart mouth (hands?) was the reason she was smacked around in the first place. 

I shook my head and said, "Barapha isn't stupid and he smells amazing." Did I just say that? She scoffed and signed, "Why are you defending someone who literally tried to bash my head it?"

"Maybe because he wasn't the one who started it," I said and her jaw dropped and her hand jerked, "What?!" I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself before I said something I would regret. 

"You get that you're human, don't you? A weak, fragile human. Not trying to be offensive or racist, just stating the facts," I hastily tacked on after seeing her outraged expression. I took her hands in mine so she couldn't interrupt me and I stared straight into her eyes. 

"Barapha kills humans; as many as he's allowed, probably more. And you don't piss off people who kill people. Especially not ones who can bench press minivans and freeze you solid with a single touch." I shook my head and glanced down at the floor before looking back up at Octavia. 

"I'm not always going to be by your side, Octavia and unfortunately Barapha isn't the only Mythic to view humans solely as a food source. I just don't want you to get hurt. Do you understand?" I said softly giving her hands a gentle squeeze. She stared down at our hands for a long moment and then her gaze shifted up to meet mine. She nodded. 

I understand