Taken

"Are you sure you don't want to come to the zoo with us?" I asked as I roughly dried my hair with a towel. Quetz smiled and replied, "I would love to, but I'm working the late shift at the farm tonight. I need to be there in like twenty minutes. Speaking of which," he turned to Barapha who was squeezing excess water out of his long white hair.

"I don't think I can get there that quick flying. Do you mind?" he asked and Barapha smiled flinging his hair over his shoulder and striding forward saying, "Of course not. Anything for you my little Snapdragon." Quetz cheeks dusted red. He glanced at me and said, "I had a really nice time last night, Chase. I hope we can do it again sometime."

I tossed my towel over the back of Barapha's desk chair and walked over to Quetz. I threw my arms around him and hugged him tight saying, "Thank you for coming." He sighed and hugged me back resting his cheek on top of my head.

"Y'all better break it up or I'm gonna have to take another shower," Barapha muttered, and I pulled away from Quetz rolling my eyes. I rose up on my toes and took Quetz' face in my hands pressing my lips gently against his. We kissed for several seconds. I felt his hand like flesh made fire against my naked back and heat boiled beneath my skin. I had fed on Barapha in the shower, but Quetz was like the hot-fudge sauce on top of an ice cream sundae...you always needed just a little bit more.

He moaned softly and gripped me tighter as I pulled the thread of glittering light from his mouth. Sweat trickled down the back of my neck and the air shimmered around us. I felt Barapha's hand almost painfully cold against my chest sapping the warmth from my skin as I fed from Quetz. After a moment I broke away from Quetz who sighed blissfully and murmured, "Gosh, that was nice."

"Mmm, yes, it was," Barapha said still holding onto me as he gazed at Quetz. The dragon's face flushed and Barapha smirked asking, "You said you had twenty minutes, yeah?" Quetz smiled and whipped off his shirt. Barapha stepped forward and pushed Quetz onto the bed before glancing back at me and asking, "You wanna watch, Chase?"

I pulled on the clean clothes Barapha had found and shrunk for me before our shower and grabbed my phone which was charging on Barapha's desk and replied, "Tempting, but I gotta get ahold of Sissy." My phone had died sometime last night after spending so many hours searching for signal.

"Mmm, suit yourself," Barapha said climbing on top of Quetz and unbuttoning the dragon's shorts. Quetz reached up and curled his hand around the side of Barapha's neck pulling him down so that he could kiss him. Steam rose off their skin, and I rolled my eyes smiling despite myself. I watched for a moment, but once Barapha's hand found its way into Quetz' boxers I had to leave.

I walked through the beaded curtain, my face flaming with embarrassment and walked down the stone hallway lined with plush rugs and lit from above with glimmering crystals. I turned on my phone and went to the living room, climbing into the large papasan chair in the corner.

Once my phone booted up, I was bombarded by a million texts and voicemails. I grimaced and muttered, "Ah jeez." There were texts from Octavia, Sissy, Taylor, Kenzi and Thomasina and at least twenty phone calls from Sissy. I started with Octavia. Most of the messages were pictures. The first was the outfit she had chosen for her and Sissy's weekend-long party. The second said: I know you're busy with your frost monster. You don't have to reply. I'm just having fun. 😊

There were a bunch of pictures after that. Everyone looked like they were having a great time. I smiled and flicked over to Sissy's messages. There were many photos. But then a single message that made my blood run cold.

SISSY: They took her. Call me!

My eyes widened and I was halfway through dialing Sissy's number when I suddenly stopped. I went to my voicemails and listened to the first one. They were all in the same vein.

'Chase! They took her! Child services took Octavia! I tried to stop them, but I didn't want to use my powers and risk ruining our case! Call me back!'

'Where the fuck are you?! Call me!'

'You said I'd be able to get ahold of you! Make Barapha bring you back now!'

'Why are you ignoring me? It's like you don't even care!!'

I hung up and sprang up out of the chair shoving my phone in my pocket and starting immediately for the door. Once I was outside, I hunched forward, and my wings tore through my skin. I shot up into the sky and raced towards home.